Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Putting The Birds To Bed??? >

Putting The Birds To Bed???

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Putting The Birds To Bed???

Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Putting The Birds To Bed???

Last year I hunted turkey's for the first time here in mid-central MN where and my hunt took a whopping 45 min and I shot a really nice bird. Everyone told me that it was just beginners luck and that turkeys were not easy to hunt. Well I didn't believe that until this year when I have gotten drawn along with two of my friends and my dad. I was going to go with and call for everyone and basically be a guide for them, being that I had hunted them and none of them have. Well Dad's season went ok, seeing a couple of small jakes but he was looking for a big gobbler and never got one. Now it is my friend Ryan's season and he set out just to shoot a turkey... no matter what size. Though we have seen lots of birds and he actually missed two with his bow before turning to the shotgun for the rest of the season, he still hasn't got one. There is only 1 day left of his season and I have permission to hunt all the neighboring land, which I haven't had til just yesterday. So I haven't scouted any of it at all and I now have no idea where the birds are at. They haven't been on our property either of the last two mornings and I am at a desperate attempt to get my friend a turkey. I have heard of putting the birds to bed at night so you know where they are roosted, or in my case, where they are not. How do you go about doing this, do you have to get close and call at night or do you just set up and wait? Also, what time do you go out to do this? Also, what should I do about this land that I haven't had any chance to scout? My season and my other friends starts in two days...Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:44 AM

Default RE: Putting The Birds To Bed???

Also, it is at a steady downpour right now with 15 mph winds. The rainisn't supposed to end until late tonight, Is that going to affect where they would roost?
Old 05-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Putting The Birds To Bed???

Rain, or no rain, they will roost in the same spot until they get pushed out of it, or until something makes them change thier routine!
Getting them to gobble with-in an hour after they roost, for us, is pretty easy. We drive the roads where we hunt, there is a road every mile, and we use a coyote howler. Simply stop the truck, get out, and howl a couple of times, and they almost always shock gobble.