Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Day 35, WHOOPBUTT IS DOWN!!!!!!! >

Day 35, WHOOPBUTT IS DOWN!!!!!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Day 35, WHOOPBUTT IS DOWN!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default Day 35, WHOOPBUTT IS DOWN!!!!!!!

April 28, 2006, 9:00 a.m.

Wanted all of you that has kept up with this little game to hear it early.

Whoopbutt fell at 7:05 this morning. He started gobbling at 6:30, I moved to what I thought was about 150 yds. I made two sequences of calls, each containing three love calls, about 15 minutes apart. When he flew down he hit the ground within about 75 yds of me and came nonstop straight to me. I never made another sound and let him come in to about 25 yds, he never knew what hit him.

He was what I fiqured, not a monster, but I think a good bird, here's his measurements: weight: 20.1 lbs, beard: 10.5, both spurs: 1 inch each.

Score (if I did it right): 20.0625 +10+10+21=61.0625

Couldn't have ended better because I start back to work Monday.

JW, if you got the pics will you please post them for me, they're not the greatest, I had to take them myself and that's the first time I've used the self portrait on this new camera. I know the background dosen't look good, but had to hang him where I clean my game and fish.

Note: After remeasuring the spurs as JW instructed me, the left spur was 1 1/8 in. long, pushed the score up to 62 somehing.

Thanks,
dog1
Old 04-28-2006, 07:33 AM

Default RE: Day 35, WHOOPBUTT IS DOWN!!!!!!!

Congratulations dog1 !!!! Can't wait to see those pictures..
Old 04-28-2006, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, that is a nice bird,but the way you have been talking I thought he would be a big old bird. From the descriptions he is probably a 2 or 3 year old bird. Are you sure this is the same bird? He is a nice bird and congrats on the kill. This morning made it all worth it for you. Don't think I'm putting down your bird, trust me I'm not. That is a real nice bird. Any turkey is special, even a jake, but a bird over 20 pounds is awesome. Again way to go, good job in staying with it. Now you can sleep easy.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Dog!! I knew you had some bite to go along with that barking...haha.

I would say your bird is at least a 3yr old. Not sure about down South, but up here in New England our Swamp birds tend to grow spurs at a slower rate, the biologists believe it has to do with the increased exposure to water. Although they are typically not as long and sharp, when they age they get larger and almost bulbous...

I guess the Voodoo worked...I'll need to keep that in mind if I run into problems this Spring...
Old 04-28-2006, 08:30 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Note - have asked for a re-measure! So I called dog asking himn to do so according to the NWTF meathod.......those hooks are much bigger - am willing to bet!

But

Meet Whoopbutt up close and personal!
Whoooz your Daddy now!! Atta boy Dane!

Them hooks are a tree hanger! From the looks of them at least a 4 to 5 yr old bird!
JW
Old 04-28-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

They look like their about an inch to me. Maybe a hair over. I think he is a 3 year old bird, but he put about 5 years on old dog. Nevertheless he is a great bird. Maybe dog can check his jaw bone and age him for us.Okay, maybe 4, but not a day over.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

Very nice bird... congrats
Old 04-28-2006, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the congrats! I rechecked the spur measurements and have sent them to JW to check, one did come out longer based on what JW told me to do. Awaiting his reply. Thanks JW.

Foot note: This bird was in the strut zone of whoopbutt, Lord I hope he's whoopbutt, hate to think I'd have to chase him two more weeks. I don't think I can buy enough Canadian Mist to go thru two more weeks.

Editing this for new measurements: his weight still 20.1 lbs, left spur changed now 1 1/8 inch, right spur still 1 inch, beard the same, 10.5, now can y'all fiqure this score, I'm brain dead right now. I emailed JW with drawings of the measurements, maybe I'm right this time, awaiting his reply.

dog1
Old 04-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

CONGRATS... IT'S NICE TO FINALLY SEE HIM!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:42 AM

All I can say is its about time.lol. Good job.

Quick Reply: Day 35, WHOOPBUTT IS DOWN!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.