Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Day 32, He gobbled and left Dodge! >

Day 32, He gobbled and left Dodge!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Day 32, He gobbled and left Dodge!

Old 04-25-2006, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Day 32, He gobbled and left Dodge!

He gobbled once and left town. At 10:00 a.m. two more across the property line started and one was on his way to me. The owners of that property chose that time of day to plow their firebreaks and that put an end to that. I'll be there tomorrow, I ain't whooped yet!

dog1
Old 04-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Day 32, He gobbled and left Dodge!

oh man ,thats horrible....i was on the dozer today clearing myrtle trees out inthe marsh and i saw a bird...usually , heavy equipment doesnt spook em too bad....but then again ,if they aren't used to it ...tomorrow, you'll out smart him...
Old 04-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

huntnma,

Yep, all I want to do is put my little foot on his little neck and mash it. Then sit down and cry, because the greatest hunt of my life will probably be over.

dog1
Old 04-25-2006, 04:53 PM

danggg dawg...lol...ifen ya dont kill this bird soon...he's gonna kill you...
Old 04-25-2006, 07:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

man no pattern to what he does......31 days......some type of pattern, travel route, where he will be must be there for you.......think about it!

JW
Old 04-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

dog1...my best of luck to you....i hope you tag him...i know the feelings you got right now......sooooo close...but just cant get him killed yet.....i told you my story before...i hunted a big ole boss tom last year......he would got mounted if i killed him just to honor the battle

i hunted a bird like the JW!....last year........never killed him...he didnt have a pattern at all.....when i thought i figured it out he would do something crazy.....every day i tried diffrent setups and tactics...had 3 close calls...first day i stumbled upon the big boy he was in his strutzone....he was facing away from me so i hunkered down and started calling...after an hour he was just about in range...clicked off the saftey...he runs off...why? a herd of cows came and chased him!!! no joke.....the other time i set up near the strut zone...he was roosted with a hen...i PI$$ED her off so bad she came down to fight me.....i was scarred! lol..i never heard a turkey so mad...you could tell she was jacked...he came with her..20yds away i never seen them..i could hear them walking...heard him drumming...but a little sappling thicket between us kept me from getting beat up lol.....3rd time i called him off the roost down a hill...had him mid hill strutting and goin nuts...then a bunch of jakes behind him chimed in....he RAN up the hill and WHOPPED them..i got to hear it all take place..never seen or heard him after that.....the other days he just plain beat me......it was a longgggggg season...if i would hunted him ALL day every day i would had better odds....but i was in highschool and working 2 jobs all in one day...AFTER hunting...some days i got to stay out later...but he would shut down and never be seen again...and i never seen him in the strut zone or found fresh sign there again...wierd wierd turkey....he was a BRUTE though.....i heard hes still alive...and heard his beard drags on the ground....when he strutted last year i could see the beard hanging between his legs..thick and long...he was over the 10inch mark i want to break.......the season hasnt started yet.....i dont know if ill hunt him or not.....if i do ill be hunting smarter and tougher then last year....and i wont devote my season to him...i got 2 tags to fill.....if i fill one then ill hunt him for a while..