Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

TRIPLE PLAY!!!!

Old 04-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default TRIPLE PLAY!!!!

I just got back from my first trip to the Black Hills in South Dakota and boy do I have a story to tell!! In January I started planning the trip for me and two of my friends. We conducted every sort of research possible and it definitely paid off.

We arrived Easter morning, around lunchtime, and hunted till dark without hearing a gobble. We covered about six miles on foot, only spotting a couple of hens. It was a little discouraging but we had a lot more time and plenty of new ground to cover the next day.

Monday morning we tried a new location and we had turkeys gobbling every different direction. Finally, we were in business!! We made a hasty setup on two toms only to have them hang up around 100 yards before leaving. We had no idea what we were in store for the next 6-7 hours.
We still had birds sounding off everywhere so we hiked to the highest point in the black Hills (Every hill we went up seemed like the highest point) and began our plan of attack. For the next 6-7 hours we played an exciting and exhausting game of cat and mouse with a group of three toms. We followed them up and down mountains, I swear one was as high as pikes peak. Constantly trying to get ahead of them or call them away from there harem of 12 hens. Nothing was working.

While taking a break and glassing the birds on a burned hillside we got our an unexpected break. The birds suddenly spooked and went the other way into a large group of pines. It turned out another hunter was also after the same group and they spotted him and ran. We were mad at first but ended up talking to the other hunter, who was from Minnesota, for about a half hour. He seemed like a veteran of the hills so I picked his brain for info. He had been hunting the hills for over seven years and the was his seventh consecutive day in the woods. After speaking with him, we decided to hunt our way back to the truck, which was now about 2 miles away. We rounded the first corner and the hill side and decided to let out a few strokes on the box call...GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE!!!! The birds he had spooked only went about two hundred yards. We quickly devised a plan. As we were executing it we made a mistake. We got too close and spooked them again. As we were watching the birds scurry away we noticed something that put a big smile on our faces. The hens ran one way and the gobblers went the other only walking about 20 yards from the current position. They were only 100 yards away from, the hens were gone, and the toms werent spooked at all. Amazingly ony the hens had spotted us.

We quickly jumped behind the nearest tree, which happen to be only 12 inches in diameter. Being left handed came in handy at this time. We got down on one kneeand each put a gun up on oppositesides of the tree. My other friend hid behind us. There was virtually no ground cover in between us and the toms, I still dont knowhow they didnt spot us. All i have to say is I am a firm believer in full body leafy camo. A few strokes on the call from myfriend, hiding in the back, and they came a running.Gobbling and strutting the whole way. At 15 yards, the two of us in front let them have it. Two shots simultaneously and two birds dropped. Then, out of a story book my buddy behind us jumps up and drops the 3rd bird right out of the air. VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!

Somehow three black hills rookies, (veterans of missouri birds) manage to bag a triple play. I know the poor hunter from Minnesota, who we had ran into only minutes before, heard us shoot and celebrate like little kids on the top of that mountain. I'd thank him if I could.

For the rest of our trip you couldnt wipe the grin off of our faces if you tried. I am sure you can tell by the photo. This pic was taken on the spot that we killed them.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: TRIPLE PLAY!!!!

Congrats. Nice looking birds...
Old 04-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

nice story and how exciting that must have been and how aobut some sizes on those birds.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

GREAT STORY!!! Congrats to all three of you guys!!
Old 04-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

From left to right:

Mike's bird: 14.2 lbs, 9" beard, 7/8" spurs
Dae's bird: 14.5lbs, 9" beard, 3/4" spurs
My bird: 17,.2lbs, 8.5" beard, 1/2" spurs

They are all at the taxidermist getting mounted together just as we shot them.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Spike

Good story and nice birds.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Very nice
Old 04-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great pic!
Congrats

Old 04-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

congrats they look nice
Old 04-24-2006, 09:43 PM

Dennis your story was almost as good as the first time I heard it! Great to talk with you guys out there and hear all the details.

Sounds like to worst of Tuesday's storm went to the north. There were just a few flakes falling as we finished up packing and hit the road. Glad to hear that the rest of the trip went well for you guys and you had a safe trip.

I hope the rest out your season goes half as well as your trip to the Black Hills did.

Quick Reply: TRIPLE PLAY!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.