Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How to ???

Old 04-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How to ???

how do you make a box call i would love to make one but have no idea if there is a special kind of wood or other things anyhelp would be great
Old 04-22-2006, 03:02 PM

Default RE: How to ???

I think each kind of wood will give you a different sound. I too was thinking of making one. I was looking at my boxcall I have now and it doesn't look to complicated. Look at your box call you might have now and try to mimic the look of it. Thats what I am gonna do.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Spike

I've been making box calls for five years. In fact the only box calls I have are ones I've made, I never bought one. I've made a number of different designs, and many of them sounded lousy. I have settled on a very simple design for the box now and can make one in about an hour with simple woodworking tools. The paddle/striker is the hard part, and I spend most of my time trying different designs and different woods to get one that I like. I plan to post instructions at a later date for anyone interested, but I call for a number of friends, and I have three people to go with this week, my tag is next week, I have two friends coming from out of state the following week, and the week after that I'm calling for my son and my neighbor. Call building and other distractions will have to wait for a while so I can chase turkeys!
Old 04-25-2006, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

i would use cherry because it is very sweet sounding and it looks good