Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 how many years did it take to kill first bird? >

how many years did it take to kill first bird?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how many years did it take to kill first bird?

Old 04-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: how many years did it take to kill first bird?

I got one my first year by myself. No one helping. Felt good too. It took me four days of hard hunting. I recently took a kid out for his first hunt. We set up the blind, put out some decoys called a few times and the five Toms come running almost full out across the field. He shot the biggest one, nine inch beard. The whole hunt from the time we left the vehicle, set up blind, set up decoys, and called was probably 45 minutes. I hope I didn't spoil him!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

It took me 5 years of hard hunting to get my first. But ever since Ive been a turkey hunting machine.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

Can't remember if it was the first or second year, btu I do remember it was 23 lbs. with a 10 1/2" beard!
Old 04-20-2006, 10:51 PM
Typical Buck

3 years of passionate seasons (killed a double 15 minutes into the 2005 season, 3rd year. 22.75lbs, 9.25", .75" and 1.25" spurs). Tagged out a week Later. Only came close once before.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Took me about 7 years to get my first bird. When I did, the next 3 were with people beside me. I killed one this past weekend that was my first to get on a solo hunt.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

on my 3rd year , i finally got one.....
Old 04-21-2006, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I killed one my first serious year of hunting them. I had been taken out a time or 2 by others, and went a fewtimes myself but didn't put much effort into things. Once I got that 1st one I've been much more serious and am improving each year.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

for the first 4yrs i hunted with dad every time....he killed numerous long beards since he started in the early 90s....he called me in birds every season...first hunt EVER where i had a gun he called 3jakes into 15-20yds...i didnt shot..i never shot.....every year we had birds....i just never felt comfortable to take the shots given.....i wasnt afraid to kill...killed tons of other game every year....but no turkeys....my 5th season i turned 16....first monday of the season...suposed to be a beautiful day...asked dad if i could skip school and hunt down at the end of the road..theres a big set of woods...he said sure..keep the grades up though!...so i went.....805am i killed my first longbeard....i was alone...called for myself.....pulled the trigger myself.....took another longbeard alone the year after that.....last year i got stuck on a BIG mature longbeard and never killed him........
Old 04-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first year I went out on my own the first morning. I somehow managed to call a bird in after a 2 hour conversation w/ him. He wasn't the biggest baddest bird around, but it was one of the most exciting hunts I have ever had.
My brother in law is a very good turkey hunter now and gets his limit in 2 states almost every year. It took him almost 5 years of trial and error before he got his first bird. He almost gave up the sport!

Old 04-21-2006, 07:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I got my first bird in the fall many years ago. I got a 2 bird limit on that day and it was great. The following spring I called in a mature gobbler on the6th morning. I had toms working all the other days but something always went wrong. I learned from my mistakes and 25 years later I am still learning. I usually get my bird but far more evade me than I kill. That is why I continue.

Quick Reply: how many years did it take to kill first bird?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.