Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Another NC bird with bow >

Another NC bird with bow

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Another NC bird with bow

Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Another NC bird with bow

Story-After 2 yrs without a bird myself,have called for others with success with gun but I bowhunt 99% of the time. Opening day I set up on my favorite honey hole NOTHING not a peep,they were here three days ago(Farmer working hard in this area pushed them out,I think) Tue.pmI called one in for a friend who missed (first time nerves) Wed.,Thur.pm I scouted/hunted hard,places where we have had Turkey for 5-6yrs had little or no sign,saw 4 hens in 2 afternoons Weak compaired to prior seasons. Fri.amI set up where a friend had been seeing a nice one almost daily only to find out later a guy had introduced him to heavyshot the morning before. I started to wonder if it was going to be another birdless year for me. I told my wife last night I had one more spot to try this morning. Well before light I was sitting in the middle of a large pasture that has about a 200yd treeline next to the river. Just as I saw a hint of the approaching dawn I hit the owl call hard....nothing,as I raised the call to hit it again he gobbled. It sounded like he was right on the river, with darkness quickly fading into the gray of dawn I jumped up and ran for a cow trail that leads to a small opening about 100yds from where I thought he was. At the edge of the opening I quickly and quietly setup. With the decoys in front of the blind (hen at 10 jake at 7yds) I sat for a few minutes,then gave a soft tree yelp,he sounded off quickly. I sat quiet as he gobbled 2 more times in the next ten minutes,then I gave him another soft yelp. He hammered right back and left his roost. I picked it up with a louder yelp and cakkle,he double gobbled(I'm thinking this is nice) I gave him a minute to think it over and threw a yelp/cut combo at him,sounding closer he threw another double at me (OH YEAH). I struck back with my best yelp/cut as he seemed a sucker for them,he then slammed me with my first ever tripple gobble at 50 yds. and closing fast(AWSOME). Then I saw that white crown bobbing thru the trees in the right direction. He stopped in the brush only long enough to spot the dekes,hen on her belly,jake looking ready. IT WAS ON,he rushed to the hen then turned his attention to the intruding jake. Just as he bowed up at the decoy I sent a GoldTip deep into his chest. He turned, ran about 20yds. and dropped. I ran to him,checked him out,got on my knees and sent thanks to our Maker,then called my wife. While gasing up on the way home two guys I know saw me in full camo and asked if I'd seen any so I showed them I had. During the conversation they offered me permission to hunt their property without me even asking. One that is near my honey hole of opening day,said he started seeing 10-12 birds just this week. HMMM I think I found my missing turkeys...GOD IS GOOD!!!!! May HE be with you every step you take.
Good Hunting

20#,1 1/4 spurs,10 1/4-3 1/2 dbl brd.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Another NC bird with bow

nice bird way to go sound slike you had a good day you got as turkey got permission to hunt someones land with turkeys imn just waiting till may 1st to get out there in the woods
Old 04-16-2006, 08:48 AM

Like I told you yesterday bud you done and did good. I am proud of you and happy for you. I was getting worried that my ribbing about going behind you and cleaning up was going to be more of the truth than I wanted. Glad you stuck him. Now it time for you to pick up the gun and do a little running and gunning with me. Congrats again bud. Oh yeah a little Almighty help is always good.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Great bird and story. Congratulations.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Nice bird. Congrats
Old 04-16-2006, 01:52 PM

Congrats on your success! That is quite a trophy!
Old 04-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

where at in nc
Old 04-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats awesome , congrats
Old 04-16-2006, 03:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

where at in nc
About 45 min west of you oneshot in duplin county
Old 04-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

YB your compass needs re callibrating LOL North

Quick Reply: Another NC bird with bow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.