Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My First Turky Hunt

Old 04-11-2006, 08:33 PM

Default My First Turky Hunt

Well, I finally got a chance to get into the woods this morning. I arrived at the farm about 20 minutes before light and walked to one of my favorite deer hunting ridges where I had seen a bunch of turkeys this past fall. Just as it starting getting light the woods came to life with gobbling turkeys. I could distinguish at least 4 seperate gobblers. Three of them were waaay off to my right and one lone gobbler would fire up every now and again I estimated about 200 yards through the woods in front of me. I nervously picked up my box call and gave a series of 4 or 5 yelps and then put the call away. Since this was my first ever turkey hunt, I didn't want to get carried away with the calling. About 15 minutes later I saw a large bird coming through the cypress trees. Man, I thought my heart was going to beat slam out of my chest. After a very long 2 minutes I was finally able to determine that the bird in question was a hen. She was coming straight for me at a pretty quick pace. She got to within 20 or 25 yards of me and turned toward my right and started heading for the other 3 gobblers off in the distance. I picked up my box call and gave a very low cluck! She froze in her tracks and turned and looked dead at me and gave me a cluck! We clucked back and forth 3 or 4 times and she then new something wasn't right and continued on her way to the other 3 gobblers. She probably hadn't been out of my sight more than 20 seconds when I heard a shotgun blast about 200 yards through the woods in front of me. Damn! Somebody got my bird. I stayed in the woods until about 9 am and just like someone cut a light switch off, the turkeys quit gobbling. Oh well, today was a great learning experience and at least I got to see a bird up close (I knew I should have taken my camera).

Anyway to make a long story short; I'm hooked!
Old 04-12-2006, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My First Turky Hunt

you sure it wasputting she did when she looked at you, either way, you called her in so youre doing something right......keep at it..i know those hens can make ya shake something fierce, lol.......
Old 04-12-2006, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Well that sucks i hope you can get another try at one
Old 04-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a very fun morning. Good luck, hope you can get back out and maybe get one next time.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Sounds exciting, I can't wait to get out there. It starts 2 weeks from Today in Indiana. Best of Luck.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

I have been out 4 or 5 times this season. The closest that I have been to a decent tom, although I have only seen 1 and3 jakes, has been 36 yards in heavy cover. I have seen a total of 6 turkeys all season. They haven't been responding to calls at all. Has anyone else had luck with calling them in????