Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What is the best 20 gauge choke? >

What is the best 20 gauge choke?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is the best 20 gauge choke?

Old 04-10-2006, 03:14 PM

Default What is the best 20 gauge choke?

I know there isn't a "best" for every gun, all of them shoot different, but what are some well known brands? I really want something extended, I've heard that the extra inch or two really helps in deformation of pellets. I use hevi-shot for turkey (just got my first yesterday!), so I want something that can hold up to it. Thanks for any replies.

Oh yeah, I'm shootinga Benelli Nova, I love that gun.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:33 PM

Default RE: What is the best 20 gauge choke?

call carlson chokes and tell them what you've got and he'll tell you which one to buy.that's what i did and he gave me the part number for his best recommendation. tell them what gun and what shells you want to shoot and they'll steer you in the right direction. there is some trial and error to choke tubes but he nailed it with mine the first time. 28 bb's in the head at 40yds on the target.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:44 PM

Ive got a Benilli Nova also. I recently bought a Primos Tight Wad choke tube. Its awesome. Putting over 40 pellets in the kill zone at 30 yards.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:53 PM

Cool, I'll check those out. At Basspro they've been sold out with regularturkey season coming close.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, I was just about to post the same question! My season is coming up soon and I think I can get something better formy 20 ga Win. 1300. Right now I just have the little turkey choke they sell for it through Cabelas, but I too am looking for an extended tube.

My dad has got the Undertaker HS on his 12 ga Win 1300 and it works really well for him so I've been looking to get one for mine. I found one at eders.com for $30, but I figured I would do a little more research and see what I can find. I guess I'll check out the other chokes mentioned and wait a little morebefore I drop the cash for one.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:19 PM

I like my 20 gauge with Hevi-Shot, the range doesn't reach out there quite as far, but I don't need to be taking longer shots till I'm more expiernced anyways. Plus, for 10 yards of range I give up about 50% of the recoil of a 3 1/2" 12 gauge...those things kick.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:52 PM

In my daughter's 870 youth 20 gauge I'm getting an average of 15 bone hits with a Primos Tight wad and Rem #6 Hevishot at 40 yards measured. Not bad for a little 20 gauge.

I also get an average of 18 bone hits at 35 yards with a Hastings .566 and federal Grand Slam #6 shot in the same gun.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well to be honest, I got the same gun. I had some work done on it and had the forcing cone and a few other things done with this gun. I added a Precision .575 choke from a custom gun maker here and his choke has did the best over a number of top name chokes that are also named here. He does not like to say that his chokes are good for heavy shot , but he uses the best steal made for chokes so I shoot it. The best shot for patterning is Nitro-company and Hevi-13 with this gun and I can say that I seen what I wanted this passed season in Florida.

One bird was taken cleanly at 60 yards. I don't take these shots all the time , but I was confident that this gun would do it. A little misjudge of distance but when we got up and pased off the yardage to my surprise it was a very close 60.

This gun with no question,is a 40 yard turkey killer...BT
Old 04-11-2006, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you are shooting hevishot you are gonna needa choke rated for hevishot. I would get the Hunters Specialties Undertaker HS choke tube. I've had great results with mine, although I shoot a 12 gauge.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I couldn't wait...I bought the Hunter Specialities Undertaker HS for my shotgun. Now I can't wait to get it here so I can pattern it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: What is the best 20 gauge choke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.