Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Eye sight low light?

Old 04-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Spike

Default Eye sight low light?

How well do turkeys see in low light? The reason I ask is I have a nice gobbler patterned and I know where he roosts and it is opening day tomorrow morning. We hunt with blinds and archery equipment and I need to set my blind up in the morning. He is roosting in some tall cottonwoods along a stubble field and I would like to pup up the blind in the dark along the stubble field. How close can I get without spooking?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:31 AM

Default RE: Eye sight low light?

The earlier you get there the better! If you plan on making a decent amount of noise I would say get there about two hours before first light...hope for a bright moon.
You have to remember that turkeys live in the woods, and there are ALOT of animals running around under those trees at night, so if you get there way before first light when there is still nocturnal animal movment and keep your noise to a minimum you should be alright.
I would steer clear of using a flashlight, and if you do try to keep it very low key. The best thing to do is to hope for a really clear night with a bright moon and get out there as early as you can, especially since you are setting up a blind.
Good luck and I hope this info helped
Old 04-07-2006, 08:40 AM

They can see well in low light. They can also hear well so don't get to close. Remember he will be up in a tree, so he can see alot more than you think from up there.Being seenfrom the roost is a big mistake that alot of turkey hunters make and don't realize. I remember my friend walking the skyline above the woods he was going to hunt, he couldn't figure out why he never couldkill a turkey there. The answer was simple, they saw him every time.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:41 AM

ORIGINAL: mlo3135127

They can see well in low light. They can also hear well so don't get to close. Remember he will be up in a tree, so he can see alot more than you think from up there.Being seenfrom the roost is a big mistake that alot of turkey hunters make and don't realize. I remember my friend walking the skyline above the woods he was going to hunt, he couldn't figure out why he never couldkill a turkey there. The answer was simple, they saw him every time.
Silence and stealth are key!!!!!
Old 04-07-2006, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I view it like deer hunting...I don't care "exactly" where they are bedded/roosting...
Its more important to know where they are going after they fly down...Where is he 30 minutes to and hour after flydown??? Thats where I like to setup...
Old 04-07-2006, 12:53 PM
Spike

He stays in the stubble field for about an hour, I set up the blind at lunch about 75 yards from where they roost and I think I will be able to get in with very little noise. I'm planning on being in the blind plenty early. Thanks for the help!!!