Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

After the Shot

Old 04-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default After the Shot

I hunted turkeys last year and didn't get anything, but I have a question. I was wondering last year: If you get a turkey I notice on all the shows the turkey is still flopping around. Do you wait till the turkey dies and then go up to it? Is there something else that can be done? Like I said I'm new to this so take it easy on me guys, because I know this sounds like a dumb question.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: After the Shot

Unless I really clobber him, I usually run over and stand on it's neck til it quits flopping. There have been a lot of birds lost when they just get knocked silly for a while and get up and run or fly off. There have been a couple of times when I had to whacka bird for another guy who just grazed him.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:38 PM

Get on it and get there quick.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

thx for the info guys.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you go up to the bird be carefull. If he has good spurs dont grab him until hes dead. Unless you want stiches.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:05 PM

if you grab one dont grab the legs or u will be spurred and it aint no fun .i agree with the standin on the head or grabbin by the head .
Old 04-06-2006, 07:31 PM
JW
Super Moderator

And though you have knocked him over be ready with your gun for a possible second shot...keep it on him....when walking up to the bird....don't run remember that is a loaded gun...do watch the turkey.....if he is flopping and his head and neck look like a rubber band flopping around - his neck is broken........but if if ya just grazed him and he is laying there with neck outstretched take notice where his legs are....if laying on his side - okay--but tucked under him he could launch hisself faster than you can blink an eye. If his eyes are blinking with outstreacthed neck whack him again......I didn't and lost a bird this way.....a long long time ago....

JW
Old 04-06-2006, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Get up and get to the turkey ASAP and get your foot on his neck. Rather be safe than sorry. I've had two that got away from me after appearing to knock them out. Keep your gun readyand don'twaste any time admiring the bird before getting your foot on him. Plenty of time for that after he is finished flopping.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have to agree with about everyone. I remember the first few I went running up and then put a head on neck until the flopping stopped if it was. Now, and do it after shows I have seen, where a second bird comes running back or shows up to see what has happened, or take it out on a turkey down. Gives a partner a chance to score a double, or in some states where legal, to fill your tag right that moment. I do how ever, hold the gun at ready until I am sure the turkey is not getting up, or stops flopping. I too have hit one, saw it go forward like hit then take off running before you could get to it, or get a second shot. So you got to be prepared. And in case you are wondering the bird was seen about a mile away hauling a** when we cleared the tree line and he was moving across the field! [8D]
Old 04-07-2006, 05:54 AM

Sorta as JW mentioned, If his head is up in the air, I'd whack him with another shot. If the head is down get over and stand on his neck and watch out for spurs.

Quick Reply: After the Shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.