Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

???Fiddle Rosin????

Old 01-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default ???Fiddle Rosin????

Does anyone one use fiddle rosin,or should i say violin rosin,to fine tune there box calls,if so how does it work and how do you do it???????????

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 01-11-2002, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: ???Fiddle Rosin????

Some of the guys here in east Tn. use it and they say with good results, but I haven't tried it yet. I plan on trying this spring.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't tried the commercially prepared "fiddle rosin", but I did collect raw pine rosin and cook it down last year. I had amazing results with it. I applied it to all my boxcalls and every one of them sounded much better. It holds up when it is wet also. I haven't had any formal instruction on how to apply it, so I just sort of chushed a small fragment into the wood with my finger and spread it around, rubbing it in well. I have heard some say that you should take a high friction cloth, like wool, and rub it in vigorously , heating it up with friction and melting it into the grain, much like you would melt wax into a bow string. I tried it on one call and didn't like the results as well. May have just been that call, who knows?

A buddy of mine and myself were visiting the night before opening day, last year and were swapping lies as we turkey hunters have been known to do (surpassed only by fishermen) when the conversation turned to who has the "WORST" sounding call. Well I have one that I havent ever found the sweet spot on and put that up for my entry. He pulled out an old Lohman that used to belong to his father. That call sounded HORRIBLE!! You never knew if it was going to squeak, squawk, or what-- IF you got a sound out of it at all. He leaned back with a smug grin and just knew he had won the bet. I cleaned the chaulk off of it and pulled out some of the rosin. He knew me well enought to get worried and asked me what I was doing to his call. I just grinned and pulled the lid across the box and the sweetest yelp came out of that Lohman. That smug grin turned to a look of udder disbelief and shock. He almost cried when he realized he had gotten his fathers boxcall back.

So, to answer your question, Since "fiddle rosin" is about the same stuff, it works well on most calls that I've tried it on and I just crushed a small fragment into a powder and rubbed it into the lid.

Good luck!!
Old 01-11-2002, 11:53 PM

I have'nt used fiddle rosin but I used Lohmans box call magic last year.I was very impressed with it.It waterproofs the call and you dont need to use any chalk.
Old 01-12-2002, 08:21 AM

I USE IT TOO BUT I MOVE THE PADDLE AND TAKE THE CHALK AND RUB IT ON THE SIDE'S AT THE TOP AND THEN I TAKE THE PADDLE TO HEAR MY SOUND.

GOD BLESS SAFE HUNTING.

AR

aim for the broad side of a deer and aim for the redhead of a gobbler.
GOD BLESS SAFE HUNTING
please visit http://www.runandgungamecalls.com/
we at runandrungamecalls think getting the bird is a good thing!!!!
ALABAMA REDNECK
Old 01-12-2002, 03:40 PM

Hey folks, I'm new to this board- couldn't deal with NWTF board anymore ! I've used Fiddle rosin for several years with good results. I bought the Call magic last year and have about the same results. Neither seems to hurt the tone of the calls. They both really work well when it's damp or raining out. just my 2 cents.

Michael L. Stanley
Old 01-12-2002, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard Yawk2me. Chime in anytime.

How do you think the Boxcall Magic will work on other wooden friction calls like a cedar soundboard on a turtle shell?
Old 01-13-2002, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Hey, Barefoot. Good question, haven't thought of that. I've got one of those and hate having to chalk it every time I pull it out. Will the resin last longer than chalk? If so, how long. Ought to work!!

Romans 8:28
Old 01-13-2002, 08:16 AM

I think the call magic would work great on that.It lasted the whole season on my box call.Never had to chalk once.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:19 AM

Barefoot, I don't see why it would not work on the sound board call, not sure about the turtle shell. I rub it into the tips of all my wooden strikers too and it really helps them bite into a slate call. If you don't like the results, it's easy to remove with a little sanding.

Quick Reply: ???Fiddle Rosin????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.