Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Team 6 on the board

Old 04-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Team 6 on the board

Exciting day today. Second day of Tennessee season.

After a bunch of early gobbling yesterday followed by silence after flydown, I didn't expect much today. Gobblers were henned-up and I was unable to find one by himself (other than some silly Jakes that kept "cawlking" back at me:.

What a difference a day makes.

Today dawned still, cloudy, and muggy, with severe weather warnings for tonight. I don't know if they had a fight yesterday afternoon or if it was the dropping barometric pressure, but turkeys gobbled all day and they were seperated.

Started the morning with my 10-year old son on some private hill ground we own. Got on one early but way too many hens. Left him for another one that gobbledbut found out he alsohad hens.MyDad joined us and we went to a lease of ours, 2,700 acres ofMississippiRiver bottom that has been timbered. Alternating small stands of decent timber with a lot of cutover.We heard a turkey ghobble when we got out of the trucks at 9:00 am. Set-up on him and he gobbled back at me but ended up leaving us with two hens. I got anotherturkey (sounded like more than one actually)to gobble with an aluminum slate (MAD Super Aluminator). After about 30 minutesof working these birdsthey came in for a 20 yard shot and I killed one of them. This was a good turkey for our neck of the woods: 22 lbs, 9.75 inch beard, 1.0 inch spur. Unloaded my gun and started calling for my Dad. Found another gobbler and got him to 65 yards.I could see this turkey standingin one place and gobbled for 20 minutes buthe wouldn'tmove an inch. Eventually he walked within 45 yards of my Dad but he didn't or couldn't see him.

Overall we set up on8 gobbling birds and called in 4 to gun range (three of them together, of which I took one). It was a great day for my son, who got to hear a lot of turkey talk and see three come in together. Next weekend will be his chance again as he was drawn for the youth hunt at LBL.

Below is a link to the picture.

http://webpages.charter.net/tlovell/Tom%20and%20Peter%20with%20Turkdy%204.2.06
Old 04-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Team 6 on the board

Good deal! I'm still trying to make a contribution to the team.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Typical Buck

alright! still got another month here! good job!
Old 04-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice [8D]
Old 04-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

Good job mouthcaller! My season here in VA opens on Saturday and I can't wait. Hopefully will have a good story and pics to share is all goes well. I'm gonna try and arrow one so wish me luck!

Go Team 6!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bird!! To bad you aren't on team 8 I just cant wait till the 14th!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Typical Buck

good job...pat yourself on the back!!
hopefully before season ends in two weeks i'll be able to contribute as well.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

Thank you Huntress. We had a great day - three generations of Lovell's chasing turkey's together and enjoying some success. Every day my son gets to go with his "Papa", however,is a good day regardless of the outcome.

I am prettyfired up about helping myboy get his first one thisupcoming weekend. Last w/end was the statewide youth huntand we got really close - had some "mature" jakes gobbling and fighting at about 70 yards, but they were more interested in themselves than coming to my pleadings from a mouth call. The weather last week and weekend wasn't helpful(very unseasonably cold) and it put a clamp on the gobbling.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats Mouthcaller! I'll be heading down your way next week to try and take a Tennessee gobbler or two. Still have to wait for Ohio season though. It doesn't start until April 24. Got any pictures?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats!!! Hopefully I can help our team score some more this weekend
when the season starts here in Arkansas.

Quick Reply: Team 6 on the board

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.