Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Heart pounding hunt yesterday >

Heart pounding hunt yesterday

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Heart pounding hunt yesterday

Old 03-30-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heart pounding hunt yesterday

Went up to my land yesterday afternoon after work to get a quick hunt in. I went to a spot where a couple of hens have been hanging out. Didn't see anything last weekend but figured this would be a logical place to start out. I couldn't set up on the tree I wanted to because the afternoon sun was right in my face. I got set up and started a series of yelps on my slate call. After calling off and on for about 10 minutes I decided to use a mouth call. On my second series a gobbler cut loose less than 75 yards from behind me and to my left. Right where the hens have been hanging out. I knew I was in trouble. I was set up in a group of small pines well hidden but could not see at all to my left. I didn't dare call now because I knew he was right behind me somewhere. I'm sitting there not moving a muscle when I here him coming up directly behind me. I swear he was less than 15 feet behind me. My heart was pounding at this point. He was standing right behind me for about 5 minutes before he moved a little to my right. I turned my head ever so slightly to my right to see if I could catch movement. He was breathing down my neck. I thought about stories where turkeys attack people and I thought man, this guy is going to attack me. Finally he moved some more to my right. I couldn't stand it anymore and slowly turned my head. There were two gobblers. When I turned they saw me move but didn't totally spook. They weren't sure what I was. I had to make a move. When the larger of the two went behind a large pine I quickly made my move. They saw me and took off running but the smaller of the two took off a little too late. He gave me a good shot trotting away at about 20 to 25 yards. I put him down. I couldn't get a shot at the larger one but this one will do just fine. He weighed 17 pounds, beard was 7 inches, and his spurs were 3/4 of an inch. He's not huge but I'm proud of him.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: Heart pounding hunt yesterday

Great hunt and great story! Congrats on being able to make a move on them like that and tag out.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:12 AM

That gets me excited for Pa's gobbler season!!! Unfortunatly I have to wait another month.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Super Congrats
Old 03-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Now that is Hunt to Remember!

Congrats

DP
Old 03-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's awesome man!! Sounds like a really fun hunt. I cant wait!
Old 03-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

congrats stop teasing me likr that i cannot go out until april 8
Old 03-31-2006, 02:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Great story...I could fell him breathing down my neck too.Glad ya got one.
C7
Old 03-31-2006, 03:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

very cool
Old 03-31-2006, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really enjoyed your story...

Those are the kind you remember...Congratulations

Quick Reply: Heart pounding hunt yesterday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.