Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Stupid weather!

Old 03-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stupid weather!

I've been working two jobs lately and havent had time to get out and pattern my gun. Well I finally got a day off today and it is pouring down rain! Yesterday was sunny, no wind, 55 degrees, and I was working! I dont understand that. Oh well. Season is in 2 weeks, I'll have to wait till saturday to shoot it, unless it lets up today.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Spike

Default RE: Stupid weather!

Hey jepcho, have you been out scouting this year and if so what have you seen?

I went out the last two weekends. Saw good sign the first time out (tracks and a few feathers in the snow).Got up to the spot Sunday at about 5:30am and heard quite a few birds gobbling on the roost, but I was only there for less than 5 minutes when they hit the ground. Stayed for about 30-45 mins then got the heck out of there. We did see a group of hens in one of our fields and could hear at least two gobblers in that same area but never saw them. All in all they were sounding off pretty good, we heard anywhere from 10-12 different birds gobbling.

Anyway good luck this season and good luck patterning your gun.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been out some up here where I live in the Northern part of the state. I do most of my hunting down by ottumwa and havent been out there since last month. I've seen good sign and seen a number of turkeys. I havent been out in the early morning yet though. The toms have been beating on each other but I personally havent heard any gobbling yet. I'm sure they are gobbling pretty good by now though. What part of the state you from?
Old 03-27-2006, 10:35 AM
Spike

I am from Independence, But I hunt near Monona, IA (NE Part) Alamakee county. It is about a 75-80 min drive from my house. I do hunt here locally too. Plenty of turkeys around to hunt.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Fork Horn

SpurIA. Beauty country up there. I hunt East Central Iowa 2nd season, and then hunt the first 4 days of 4th season up in Alamakee. We motel it in Lansing. Never hunted down south like Jepcho. Good luck fellow Hawkeye's!