Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Briley, Jelly Head, or TruGlo choke? >

Briley, Jelly Head, or TruGlo choke?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Briley, Jelly Head, or TruGlo choke?

Old 03-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Briley, Jelly Head, or TruGlo choke?

What choke would you choose for an 835? Briley, Jelly Head, or TruGlo?
Old 03-20-2006, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Briley, Jelly Head, or TruGlo choke?

Every gun shoots different, so the only way you will know is to buy them all, with all different sizes, brands, and lengths of shells and get out there and shoot.
Not trying to sounds arrogant, but it is the truth
Old 03-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

I have a truglo and like it. Buy several brands of shells and shoot them. One will pattern good for you.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

I suggest you use the search feature of this site to access the scores of previous threads addressing you question.

In essence there is no way for anyone to know which choke shoots best in your 835. The Briley may be great in your gun but terrible in mine. I would buy the one I wanted and then find a load that it shoots well.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Carlson .675 Tube on my 835 and it paterns very well,the only problem is that it is ported,so I can't use the new Federal Ammo with the Flight Control Wad(the porting pulls the wad off of the shot column like a standard wad),Therfore whatever choke tube you decide on,also consider if you want to shoot Federal Ammo and if you want it ported.

Bill
Old 03-23-2006, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Good point Bill, but the Star Dot (which is ported) shot the Federal flight control pretty well in my gun. All the lead loads paled in comparison to Heavy-13 out of my gun however. Heavy 13 loads put 2 to 3 times more shot in the head/neck of the turkey target at all distances compared to the lead loads that I tried.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yesterday I patterened three different shells out ofa Rem. 870 supermag and a jellyhead choke. Hevi 13, Rem. Hevi shot high velocity, and Rem. Hevishot magnum. They were all 3 1/2 inches and 5 shot. The Rem. Hevi shot magnum had by far the best pattern at 40 yards. I have been using Rem. Hevi shot for a few years and it is awesome. The magnum actually out performed the high velocity.They also work great with an undertaker choke. All three are great loads though.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

superstrutter:
I have had the same results with the Remington Hevi Shot.The Mag outperforms the high velocity in my Remington 870 SPS-T supermag using both a Remington and Undertaker .665 choke tube. They are also the best performers in my 835 with a Carlson .675 tube.I have been shooting # 6s and there is no comparison to lead.Hevi-13 and Remington Hevi shot are the same.I don't know if Remington will be loading Hevi Shot anymore since the manufacterer of the pellets began marketing their own ammo.

Bill
Old 03-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

This will in fact be the last year Remington loads hevi shot. I agree with you 100% that hevi shot outperforms lead shot. I will use nothing but hevi shot.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Superstrutter:
I hate to see "Big Green" stop making Hevi Shot Shells,Their high velocity loads and Hevi-13 both contain 1 3/4 ounces of shot while the Remington mag loads contain 1 7/8 ounces and they shoot better out of both my 870 and 835.

Dubz444:
Sorry to kind of get off topic in your post,but as you can see,choosing a choke tube,also depends on the ammunition you are using.You might want to consider what constrictions are available in Briley,Jelly Head or TruGlo or consider another brand.I have an 835 and an 870,The overbored barrel on the 835 does not patern as well as the 870's standard barrel with any combinations I have tried but it is still a Da*n good gun.

Bill

Quick Reply: Briley, Jelly Head, or TruGlo choke?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.