Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Leave the jake in the truck >

Leave the jake in the truck

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Leave the jake in the truck

Old 03-13-2006, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Leave the jake in the truck

I've got a small flock of decoys --3 hens and 1 jake. EVERY time I've included the jake in my set-up, it was treated with suspicion and gobblers hung up out of range. I've had MUCH better success using just one lone hen decoy.

Anybody have thoughts on this?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:54 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Leave the jake in the truck

last year, when I used the jake decoy, the toms got scared and vacated the area.. never again for me! lone hen only for all future hunts
Old 03-13-2006, 06:15 AM
JW
Super Moderator

There are times when Jakes do help - but my expereince that most times they do not!

though a breeding pair has worked for me in a Boss tom's territory more than once- ya just gotta know your bird!

JW
Old 03-13-2006, 06:25 AM
Dev

Every time I've ever used a jake decoy I've had to defend it. Birds will not keep off of it. I had a gobbler three years ago flog my jake and peck it's head and neck so much that it put holes in it. Then he carried the decoys 30 yards. I had so much fun watching that I never shot the bird. It's been my experience that the gobbler will go to the jake before the hen.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've never used a jake deke before but i have one to try this year. if i use it i'll probably use it as a breeding pair.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:13 PM

We just got ornery turkeys here in New York, i've had both jake and boss gobblers attack my jake deke...along with a couple of dominent hens fan out to engage my hen dekes...gotta love those sights when ya just turkey watch (at least till that boss comes in)
I've had a couple of jakes kick the snot out my floppin gobbler one year too...course, i never have my digital camera with me when that happens, but trust me, it travels wherever i go from now on.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Typical Buck

i use a jake maybe on opening day but i like my hens better...plus we don't have worry about freaks shootin' our decoys when we use hens.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never had a Mature gobbler shy away from a jake decoy, but I did have two jakes high tail it and run!! But I really didn't care. because I pass on the jakes anyway.

If I were you, I'd take the jake along with you, and then try setting the "hen decoy" right on the ground, supported by two small sticks on each side so she won't fall over. Then place the jake decoy on it's stakeright next to the body as if he was going to mount her from behind. I think you'll be more than amused by the show you'll see. Just don't forget to shoot!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a nice longbeard go face to face with my jake last year, I'm looking at his fan and beard on my wall right now
Old 03-14-2006, 02:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

maytom--I tried that several times, but I don't think that any gobblers have seen it when I've done so. It's a good idea and I may try it again.

Quick Reply: Leave the jake in the truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.