Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Diaphrams

Old 03-10-2006, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Turkey Diaphrams

I just bought 3 new primo's diaphram calls today. i messed around with them a little bit and tried the things that is says to do on the back of the package but i couldnt get the right sounds. its pretty dang hard. i was jus wondering if theres any tips you guys can give me while tryin to practice with these?
Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Turkey Diaphrams

Without placing the call in your mouth....press your tongue up against the roof of your mouth to block off the air flow your trying to push out from your diaphram, not necessarily blowing but forcing out....allow some air to flow over your tongue and then drop your jaw creating a sssssyyyyaaaa practice that like a yelp.....remember that, now place the call in your mouth practicing the same technique. Force air over the call, do not blow and create the yeeeeellllll, drop the jaw llllpppppp pick up the rythm....yelp, yelp yelp....some say the word raup, raup, raup...trying to put down in words how to use a mouth call is very difficult....keep practicing.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:36 PM

well im still learnin too but my cousinis tryin to teasch me and yea your right its hard to do
Old 03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

i've never had much luck with primo's mouth calls. i bought a pack of them and i couldn't get consistent tones or anything. then i can switch to some of my H.S. strut calls and do great.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'll keep trying! i wanna get this right so i can us it for turkey hunting and so i can annoy people at school with em...lol
Old 03-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

it does take a while how to learn them well but once you do you'll be happy. it might help if you start out with a one or two reed call. what # of reeds do the ones you have have??? that will probably make a difference.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

i bought a package of three. one has 3 reeds, and the other 2 have 2 reeds
Old 03-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Work on learning with the two reed calls first, they require less air pressure and are easier to learn with. I started with a single reed call until I got the hang of it then progressed to multiple reed calls, and I'm still learningto blow them proficiently. Just keep practicing it takes time to get it right.As a side note, I have also found the H.S. Strut mouth calls are easier for me to use than the Primos calls. Good Luck!
ORIGINAL: whitecloudhunter

Old 03-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dbblung

Work on learning with the two reed calls first, they require less air pressure and are easier to learn with. I started with a single reed call until I got the hang of it then progressed to multiple reed calls, and I'm still learningto blow them proficiently. Just keep practicing it takes time to get it right.As a side note, I have also found the H.S. Strut mouth calls are easier for me to use than the Primos calls. Good Luck!
ORIGINAL: whitecloudhunter

same here exactly!!! i even started out with the small frame mouth calls too. i started at around 12 i think. i've gotten so used to using the multy reed calls that i have problems with the calls with lesser reeds. i've learned that no matter how good you are you still need to use the single and double reeds for things too such as kee kee runs and really low volume tree calls.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:37 PM

These kind of work. They are from Primos and have been the best that I have tried. By the "Mastering the Art" Turkey DVD. It's really good at explaining how to do those calls and other things.

Mouth Calls-

Yelp-
"Cholk, Cholk, Cholk"...use your jaw

Cluck-
"plock" or "putt"

Cutting-
"pot, pot, pot"...use your lips

Cackle-
"kit, kit, cat, cat, cat, cholk, cholk, cholk"....use jaw to set rhythm and tempo

Kee Kee run-
"pee, pee, cholk"

Purr-
Vibrate your lips for aggrevated purr, and your vocal cords(gargle) with a very soft controlled vibration.

Quick Reply: New Turkey Diaphrams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.