Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Best camo for Nebraska turkey hunting >

Best camo for Nebraska turkey hunting

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best camo for Nebraska turkey hunting

Old 03-10-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Best camo for Nebraska turkey hunting

I'm hopefully heading to Nebraska this Spring on my first Merriam's hunt. I'm due for some new camo and would appreciate any thoughts on a good camo for NE. I've read in various places that a lighter pattern works well (as compared to darker timber in the East). I've been looking at Natural Gear . . . any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 03-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Default RE: Best camo for Nebraska turkey hunting

All of the patterns work well. It is far more important to minimize movement and practice fundamentals than worrying abou the camo. If there is a particular patter you like, go for it.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

It doesn't matter what state, what terrain etc...there is only one camo for me ASAT camo.....
Old 03-10-2006, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

It doesn't matter what state, what terrain etc...there is only one camo for me ASAT camo.....
DING, DING, DING.........We have a winner!
Old 03-11-2006, 05:09 PM

I'm from western Kansas and use Predator Deception here. It works great, have had turkeys and deer get very close. I believe the big open patterns confuse most animals vision and really breaks up your outline. I think that most camo patterns work ok if you set with your back against a tree or something to blend into. Predator and ASAT work there also and when you get caught in the open. That said, controlling movement is still the most effective way to stay concealed.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Typical Buck

ASAT the last camo you will ever buy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Works for turkey too? With the tans and browns on the greens and dark browns, I figure I'd stick out like a sore thumb!
Old 03-12-2006, 07:24 AM

Just the opposite you will not stand out like a sore thumb. I don't use ASAT camo but it works on the same principles as Predator camo that I use. The colors along with the irregular patterns break up your outline and help you to blend into whatever your surroundings are. It's hard to imagine, you just have to see it work. When I was turkey hunting last spring my Predator Deception camo worked great. But what really amazed me was how many deer came within feet of me and never saw me. One time they got my scent, were very nervous, but could not figure out where it was coming from. Now I was not in the best of setups when they smelled me, I was in the open a few feet from some trees, but they never figured it out. It was real neat to sit still and watch them try to figure it out. The colors of these camos seem to work with anything, even snow or sky.Most people will have you believe that you need to look like trees, leaves, or brush to be concealed, but the animals we hunt do not look like this and they wear some of the best camo. You will not be dissappointed if you get Predator camo or ASAT.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Typical Buck

Wrenchbender, i know what you mean, I have a full 3d suit of ASAT that i use for bowhunting, it's simply unmatched. I was just thinking that because turkey can see in color, I figure they'd be able to tell the difference from a green/brown tree and this big tan blob. Just thinkin they'd give me a second look
Old 03-12-2006, 09:15 AM

MDManiac, I thought the same thing when I started using my Predator camo. It is definitely brown but it didn't seem to spook the turkeys, though. They didn't see me even among some green backround.