Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need everyones help...

Old 03-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Default Need everyones help...

I am in an ongoing debate with my dad who says that camo for turkey hunting is "not nessecary as long as you don't move what can they tell" My answer was that a turkey can see you far better than you can see them. So what is everyone elses opinion in why camo is a must have for turkey season?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:40 PM

Default RE: Need everyones help...

I think it helps a great deal.they can see a nat blink at 100 yards.LOL[].so what do you think they see you do?
all kidding aside,it helps.I had an uncle once (Passed a few years back) never wore camo of any kind. he wore blue bib overalls with the tannish brown jackets.the ones with the pockets at the very bottom, with 5 buttons down the front.you know the farmers clothing.

he took more turkeys and deer than anyone else around.he tipped the scales at 350 lbs till his death. you would be on a deer stand and all of a sudden you look up and he was standing 25 yards from ya.you wouldn't even know he was anywhere around,blue and brown cloths.

camo is an aid just like any other part of you gear. just not absolute.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Typical Buck

camo is ahuge advantage but movement is critical if you move around even with camo a turkey will still spot you however camo helps you blend in with the surroundings set up in the shadows
Old 03-03-2006, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I belive camo plays a major roll in not being seen. Of course not moving helps, but camp just adds to your advantages.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:51 PM

I actually say your dad is right. I have called turkeys up before while I was wearing blaze orange coveralls and they had no idea I was sitting there. I will say it is necessary to be against a tree wider than you are. If you sit perfectly still, you can get away with a lot. I mean, I don't think the Native Americans wore ASAT, and thank God, because if they did........we woulda been in trouble!

But I still say wear the camo. You can get away with a lot more than without. No doubt camo has been the downfall of many a longbeard!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:09 PM

camo is a luxury we have that our predecessors didn't have. they had to make due with natural camo and patience. our society today is completely different and with hunting being a recreation we have to make the most of our time. they had to hunt to survive, we hunt for fun and not too many of our generation have the patience to do things the hard way. nothing wrong with that, just a different day and age.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:00 PM

My dad wears a a plain green shirt and pants doesnt affect the hunting any.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: levelgrape

I am in an ongoing debate with my dad who says that camo for turkey hunting is "not nessecary as long as you don't move what can they tell" My answer was that a turkey can see you far better than you can see them. So what is everyone elses opinion in why camo is a must have for turkey season?
Against conventional wisdom I agree with your Dad. I've killed turkeys with a walnut, blued steel gun wearing bluejeans & a checked shirt and black ball cap. When to move, and; WHEN NOT TO MOVE IS THE KEY!
Old 03-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

I mean, I don't think the Native Americans wore ASAT, and thank God, because if they did........we woulda been in trouble!

But I still say wear the camo. You can get away with a lot more than without. No doubt camo has been the downfall of many a longbeard!
Your absolutely right but they did wear tans, browns and blacks which is the concept not to mention feathers etc cause they weren't worried about getting a face full of buckshot...lol[&:]

Seriously, there's been a pile of turkeys killed with the old Woolrich black and red but camo...yup, I'd sooner have it than not have it..
Old 03-04-2006, 04:33 PM
Typical Buck

Camo is a definite advantage............but movement is the key. You can be completely camoed, but if you move the wrong way..........BUSTED. You can conceal yourself without camo clothing.......once again move the wrong way.........BUSTED. With that being said, I'm camo'ed from head to toe everytime I step in the woods after turkey's.

Quick Reply: Need everyones help...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.