Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

i need some tips

Old 02-20-2006, 10:52 AM

Default i need some tips

Im huntin in a new area in arkansas. In the Ozark mountains. Ive never hunted turkeys before in hills or mountains. I need a few tips on where i should hunt in this kind of area and maybe some tips on how turkeys act in this area. Im use to huntin in meadows or fields and im just wonderin if they act different or do they respond the same way.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:21 AM

Default RE: i need some tips

Should be basicly the same, you call and hopefully they come. Whats the terrain like other then being hilly,just woods, or woods with some openings here and there? If there are some openings, its a good place to be in particular on rainy or windy days (just like elsewhere). If ots just woods, open hardwoods are usually pretty good (not to much underbrush) and perhaps they may like to roost where they can catch the early morning sun (east or south facing slopes). When hunting the hills, I usually try to get on same level or slightly higher then where they are. Other then that the usual stuff applies, food, water, maybe near a spring seep where things may tend to green up a little earlier.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:37 AM

It does have clearcuts and little openings. But there is not much hardwoods. Its mainly pine trees. There is also long stretches of gravel roads on top of the mountains..but they are within our camp so only people in the camp should be on them..i figured that might be a good spot. Also..like you said, the smaller clearcutts do look like a good spot to hunt in. Ill give it a shot and let u know how i do when season gets here. thanks

Old 02-22-2006, 04:33 PM

c.j. they will come up the mountain to u but they wont come down. so if u hear one above you uyou need to make your way up to where they cant see you so youcan get a shot