Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roosting Preferences?

Old 02-19-2006, 03:34 PM

Default Roosting Preferences?

I am contimplating planting a few evergreen trees on my farm for future roosting sites. Currently, there are no evergreens for them to roost in, except red cedars. I don't think they would ever use the red cedars due to the tight limb pattern.

So, have you seen a preference of the types of trees they like to roost in? I think that if I plant about six or so evergreens in a group they would probably roost in them as opposed to the deciduous trees. Any thoughts and observations are appreciated.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Roosting Preferences?

The only conifers I've seen them roost in were large white pines with wide open, horizontal branches. Otherwise they seem to prefer hardwoods. I think they like to be able to see around them when they roost. I don't know if they'd roost in trees that limit their vision. That being said, Where we hunt we see way more turkeys in mixed conifer-hardwoods than in straight hardwoods.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

I agree they seem to prefer Hardwoods.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:50 PM

all the turkeys i've ever seen have been roosted in hardwoods. i'm sure it depends on the area. it seems the bigger and more horizontal the limbs are the better the roost sites.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:18 AM

In general I would agree they prefer the hardwoods. One exception might be during weather when they may tend to be in conifers. That being said , I have harvested a couple out of one area where while being mixed variety of trees, most are hemlocks, but border open land (private land yards, open fields).
Old 02-20-2006, 07:04 AM

It really all depends on the woods around you as to what the will roost in. I do believe they prefer hardwoods..as i've seen a majority of turkeys roosting in them..but i have been to a deer camp in southern arkansas and it is a pine forest so the roost in the pines. But I did notice that they roosted on the most open branch of the tree making it easier for them to see and escape if needed. Same for the deer camp im in up in northern arkansas..its nothin but pine trees there and thats what they will roost in..but again the are roosting on the open trees with open branches.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:54 PM
Typical Buck

out west they like to roost in big ponderosa in the national forests and cottonwoods along the rivers i do not think you will live long enough to see them roost in the trees you will plant
Old 02-21-2006, 07:32 AM

In central NC, they like to roost in pines.

Hal
Old 02-21-2006, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Down here in Ga,you can find them in oak,or pine,but I have found they actually prefer the pine,even in the swamps.I have seen hens roost on pine tree limbs that sagged when they landed on them.I will say the Gobblers like big semi-straight limbs to roost on.

I also have noticed they prefer to roost in thicker areas during moonlit/windy nights.Hope I helped.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt a pine plantation near the NC/VA line (546 acres). It has overly mature trees. 30-40 year old pines and hardwoods even older. Since the pines grow faster they slow the hardwoods growth. The pines are 40-60 feet tall. I've never seen a turkey roost in a hardwood tree or even sign that they have. Most of the roost trees are on a creek or a big hill.