Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Will you shoot jakes?

Old 02-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will you shoot jakes?

Personally I try not to shoot a jake. If it's been a bad season and that's all I had a chance to kill, then I will take one.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:33 AM

Default RE: Will you shoot jakes?

I agree...late season and no turkeys then that is one dead jake. Opening day or following weeks...let 'im go.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:04 AM

I personally don't as I have killed many gobblers but I don't think shooting any will hurting anything in most areas that have large, sustainable populations of turkeys. If am taking a kid or newbie with me and a jake drops in and they want to wack him, HAVE AT IT!!! Managing for turkeys is a world different than managing for trophy bucks.

Fun is the most important reason for being out there and if my 10 year old wants "lil jake" then lj better be worried!
RA
Old 02-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Spike

umm thats a good question...i personally wouldnt shoot a jake. let him go so he can grow to become a nice mature tom. but it your call...your turkeys.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RedAllison

I personally don't as I have killed many gobblers but I don't think shooting any will hurting anything in most areas that have large, sustainable populations of turkeys. If am taking a kid or newbie with me and a jake drops in and they want to wack him, HAVE AT IT!!! Managing for turkeys is a world different than managing for trophy bucks.

Fun is the most important reason for being out there and if my 10 year old wants "lil jake" then lj better be worried!
RA
DITTO!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

First half of season I try and stick a nice tom, but in my area sometimes mature tom's have smaller beards so they are game as well. For the second half, I like the meat!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Posted

I agree...late season and no turkeys then that is one dead jake. Opening day or following weeks...let 'im go.

DITTO!... Nice Weim by the way POSTED, how old??? My weim is almost 3, but has already been on many hunts.
Old 02-13-2006, 01:28 PM

I spent 500.00$ went to Wyoming hunting merriams. First time out there.
Had a few chances at toms but nothing went right. Started snowing like crazy and my buddy got his tom.
I had a chance to shoot 3 jakes just sitting there 20 yards away. I didnt shoot. For 3 months I listend to my buddy say why didnt you shoot and all that. Im glad I didnt because I will Never shoot a Jake
Old 02-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

I have onlyhave shot one bird so if it is a Jake I will mostly shoot it. But I also hunt on state land so its not like there is an monster turkeys around.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've shot a few... My first turkey was a jake and one that I will never forget

I guess it depends on how many turkeys you kill. If you one of the lucky one that kill gobblers every year then I would sort of frown down on it. But if you don't kill regulary. then I would say "getyour bird"

Quick Reply: Will you shoot jakes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.