Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Guy

Old 01-30-2006, 09:20 AM

Default New Guy

I'm new to turkey hunting and this forum. I've never hunted turkeys but have hunted deer and waterfowl most of my life.

I've got 100 acres in south Alabama with turkeys on it, a 3.5" twelve guage shotgun, and camoflage clothes. I don't have any other turkey hunting gear so I'd appreciate some advice from you old hands.

The stores here aren't very helpful so I usually buy hunting gear from Cabela's or other internet outfitters.

To get started, I'd like to get a good box call and a tape or dvd on how to use it. Could you advise me?

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New Guy

First off, welcome to the forum. Your entering a passion that we know is turkey hunting. That being said, there are many, many good quality box calls on the market but I can't think of a tape, dvd that shows you how to use one. They are quite easy to use but I wouldn't limit yourself to just a box call. Too many times a turkey won't respond to a box call when he might have responded to a pot call....or vise versa...having several different types of calls increases the odds of a response. Cabelas carries several quality calls and here is another site to check out, www.rivervalleygamecalls.com The Fall Harvest box call is a real quality sounding call and you might want to invest in the MOJO glass/slate call. These two calls will make you very versital and they are both easy to use giving you exceptional turkey sounds....with whatever calls you decide to invest in, good luck and practice and we look forward to hearing about your success.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome! Great advise already
Old 01-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome Grizz.Hope to hear some success stories from ya this Spring.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Beware Grizzly Albert, once you start turkey hunting, you will be
hooked for life. You should check out the Primos Truth series, Knight
and Hale, and H.S. Strut turkey dvds. They will give tips on equipment
and how to call with different type calls. I hope this helps you, good
luck and have fun.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another welcome aboard!! This turkey hunting is a sickness, are you sure you want to jump in? Just look at Rob!!!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard! If you want to learn more about turkey hunting just stay right here. Theres plenty of good info on this forum. Make sure you sign up for the turkey contest. Its alot of fun!
Old 01-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another welcome your way Grizz!!LBB gives you some good advice on a box instructional aid,try this addy...
http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable/update_display.cfm?pageID=556&categoryID=33
Old 01-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to the addiction
Old 02-03-2006, 08:08 AM

Thanks to all for the nice welcome.

Cabella's has a H. S. Strut call with an instrution dvd and I've sent off for one. I hope that's a decent call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.