Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

can turkeys smell you

Old 01-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Default can turkeys smell you

iwanted to know if turkeys can smell people
Old 01-27-2006, 07:01 PM

Default RE: can turkeys smell you

If they could---I don't think you would ever shoot one. I wouldn't worry about his smelling ability---but you better take his eyesight real serious.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:07 PM

They have poor smell, but great eyesight like sour01 said. Turkeys have trichomatic eyesight, just like us and other mammals. They can even see ultraviolet light, and can sense shifts in lighting.
Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only if you use Jalvja turkey lure!!Naw they cant thank goodness....
Old 01-27-2006, 07:25 PM

where do you get that jalvja turkey lure
Old 01-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deb , I appoligize , I should not have posted a topic like that. I was just horsing around with the guys and was hoping that others would not take it seriously.

Turkeys can not smell and there is no need to have any kind of scent for them. As some have said above , if they could smell they would be near impossable to kill.

I very sorry if my post mislead you....BT
Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have proof that turkey cannot smellWhile huntin with Adrian and Scrapper one mornin after a night of beer and hot wings.We still had birds come as close as 10 yds.Didn't bother them birds one bit however it was wiltin the leaves of the tree Adrian was sittin underand was makin my eyes
Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Adrian, Deb turkeys cannot smell humans and the thread on turkey scent was for fun and ficticious. We hope you don't go away from HuntingNet thinking those guys think turkeys can smell and there is a lure for them. We were just having some fun but you bring up a good point, when in doubt, ask. There is no such thing as a dumb question except for the question not asked.

And I missed welcoming you aboard the forums so, welcome and enjoy...sometimes we can be silly.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: sour01

If they could---I don't think you would ever shoot one. I wouldn't worry about his smelling ability---but you better take his eyesight real serious.
Or they r simply not able( smart enuf)to use it for a defence.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jalvja

I have proof that turkey cannot smellWhile huntin with Adrian and Scrapper one mornin after a night of beer and hot wings.We still had birds come as close as 10 yds.Didn't bother them birds one bit however it was wiltin the leaves of the tree Adrian was sittin underand was makin my eyes
LOL!!! Now talk about singed turkey feathers!! Jal, you had to have a cloths pin on your nose!!Hot wings and beer out of short stocky canadian, it didn't get a chance to digest that long before turning into a Methane gas!!

Quick Reply: can turkeys smell you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.