Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

# 7 shot

Old 01-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default # 7 shot

Has anyone used #7 shot to kill a turkey? What yardage is the max for this load?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:10 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: # 7 shot

Don't take this wrong but #7 shot should not be used. The smallest if ya must should be #6 which I used for years and then have gone to #4s with reduced shot charge to give me more PFS which just penetrates harder- patterns better.

There are alot of people here who I be use #6 or #5.

Range if using #7 shot - NO more than 20 yards and closer than that!

Just my opinion...

JW
Old 01-24-2006, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

We can notuse #7 shotin the state of Mn. my home state. We can only use #4,5,or 6 shot.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

I've thought that #7 Hevi shot would be a pretty good load. I think it's about the same weight of a #5 lead and would have a tremendous number of pellets in a 2 oz. load. One of the things i'd like to experiment on sometime.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM

If you talking about #7 Hevi-shot like what is used in Nitro 4X5X7 triplex loads then it works great! I wouldn`t use just #7 lead for turkeys, it just doesn`t have enough energy unless your going to keep your shooting distances very close. The Nitro loads use alot of #7 Hevi-shot (about half the pellets are #7s) and those loads a devastating on turkeys.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Turk_man

If you talking about #7 Hevi-shot like what is used in Nitro 4X5X7 triplex loads then it works great! I wouldn`t use just #7 lead for turkeys, it just doesn`t have enough energy unless your going to keep your shooting distances very close. The Nitro loads use alot of #7 Hevi-shot (about half the pellets are #7s) and those loads a devastating on turkeys.
I agree!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 03:14 PM

I agree in threece. A 7.5 pellet of Hevi-Shot is as heavy as 6 lead and has nearly the same knockdown. I LOVE em in my triplex Nitros. Leadwise tho, if you had at least 1 3/4 oz of it (3" or larger) shot a VERY tight choke and kept shots inside of 40-45 yds then you probably would be ok. If you are wanting something with a hellacious density that no mosquito could fly through then call "Nitro Ray" and have him build you an all 7 Nitro load. He can load you 2.5oz of 7s that will just VAPORIZE anything within 50yds.

Good luck,
RA
Old 01-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Asfar as I'm concerned, if your gun won't pattern 4's,5's or 6's. Then get a new choke and if that don't work get a new gun.... I don't see any reason why anyone would want to turkey hunt with #7's...
Old 01-24-2006, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

Mr.Longbeard you've gotta stop making me agree with you.That may give me a bad reputation.

7's lead..no,and about hevi shot even though they may be enough....
I hear about "I got 110 hits in the head,and neck @ 40yds."You know most of those hits are thelittle pellets.I know for a fact a gobbler can take 4 #5's,and fly with a broken neck.I don't want to take a chance on that happening again.Luckily I recovered the bird.

There's a difference between poking holes on paper,and poking holes in a turkey.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:46 PM

Well, if you`ve never seen how hard a bird gets walloped by Nitros triplex load then I`d hold off on the doubts. I have yet to have a bird even flop around after getting hit with them. I took a guy out on his first turkey hunt last year and he used my gun and ammo. He shot a bird at just over 50 yards(not my choice, he miss judged the distance). That bird got hammered hard and clean. When I cleaned that bird a little itty bitty pellet went in it`s back and came out it`s breast! I highly doubt many lead number #4s could penetrate like that. And it`s not 110 pellets it`s 320 in a 10" circle at 40 yards.

Quick Reply: # 7 shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.