Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Mouth Calls

Old 01-22-2006, 04:24 PM

Default Turkey Mouth Calls

Thanks to all for your responses regarding turkey calls, it was very educational. Another wide open question. Who makes the best mouth calls. Just looking for opinions here from some experienced hunters.

Best,
JB
Old 01-22-2006, 05:08 PM

Default RE: Turkey Mouth Calls

to me each and every one is different,mostly all made the same. shape,style,type of wood,glass. i mainly use butski game calls, but have several different brands,to answer your question,to me,its which ever one works the best on that givin day
Old 01-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have no idea who makes the "best" mouthcalls on the market even after spending a small fortune trying many of them!I do know I have good luck with H.S.'s mouthcalls.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:57 PM

I got to agree with everyone here, no one makes the "best". Just some calls I like more than others. When I first started using mouthcalls I had a hard time with calls that had thin reeds like Primos calls do. Now I find I like that style of calls more then the thicker reeded calls. The best thing to do is try a couple different styles of calls and see what you like and remember to also see what the birds like because I`ve had calls that I didn`t think sound good but the birds sure did love.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bobgobble2

I have no idea who makes the "best" mouthcalls on the market even after spending a small fortune trying many of them!!!!!!
I'll second that one Bob!!!
I think mouth calls are like anything else, we all have our favorites, or should I say "brand Loyalty"!! They have sure come a long way since the early 70's when I first got into this game. Good ol' Dick Kirby was my barber way back then, and would always show me a new mouth call or two he was working on while I was in the chair!!! LOL!!
Like Bobmentioned, I also havetried quitea fewmouth calls by several different call companies over the years.
Presently, I've settled on the ones put out by Knight & Hale, specifically, the ones with the brown tape and yellow laytex.
Are they best, I don't know, but they just sound right to my ears.

Old 01-23-2006, 12:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have to agree with what everyone is saying about who makes the
best. One brand may work well on one day but another brand may
work better the next day. But the past few seasons I have had
very good luck with the Preston Pittman mouth calls.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:48 AM

For me the best mouth calls have thicker material for the reeds...not so thick that it takes too much pressure to blow but just right where you don't stretch the reeds out in one day hunting. Woodhaven is a good example of what I'm talking about.