Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Closest Miss

Old 01-20-2006, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Closest Miss

OK lets face it we all have our share of misses. Whats the closest you've ever missed a Bird. This kills me to have to say this but mine was 5 steps. He was so close I shot over his head. Had to tight a pattern. I now aim a bit lower. He was so close he made the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up when he gobbled.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:12 PM

Default RE: Closest Miss

Ouch, that is bad.
Old 01-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

15yards for me... Live and learn
Old 01-21-2006, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

About 15yds for me!
Old 01-21-2006, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Miss who me !

If you have not missed then either you have not shot at many birds or you can't just let it out of the bag

1 miss that I remember was In Texas , I would about the 20 yard range and the gobbler a sly devil that was worked for days by another very well known hunter across the US, came sliding in around some pear cactus and I was off the mark with the gun , as I slowly moved on him He caugh me and turned. As I shot he took a step and I cleanly shot passed him [:@] He was a dandy.

I know I have missed at other chances , but I just don't remember as of now, but since the Turkey guns have been brought to a close range rifle shooting gun , it seems the patterns are so tight for the close shots one has to be carefull and be on the mark.

I see misses all the time while guiding and I like to expain to others that when shooting at a bird in close Keep that sight on the low neck because most guns tend to rise at close range. Most of these misses I see are shots that go right over in close birds...BT
Old 01-21-2006, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

I missed one time @ 15yds.I roosted 2 birds the evening before.I knew that one of them would have to fly out of the creek into the6month old pines(basically a clearing).I sat between him,and the other bird,and put out a Jake and a hen decoy.I faced the tom towards the creek.He gobbled a few times,but the bird behind me was tearing it up!I called just a few times.Next thing I heard was wings brushing against the saplings.I saw him out of the corner of my eye come in,and he attacked my Jake!I then noticed the other bird standing there.I could see no beard.The aggressive tom went after the other one,and I decided to shoot him on the move.He jumped straight up,and when he went to run off.I shot again and got him.So,I was lucky.The other tom did have a beard I just couldn't tell in the early light against his dark feathers.Oh,well I did get to see 2 toms fight another day,but that's another story.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

20ish yards, fogged my scope I was so excited, he went behind a tree or so I thought and I moved my barrel to the other side, PUTT, he was running away, but I got him later...the only bird I ever missed, 3 times if you remember the story...
Old 01-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll never forget it because it was opening day and i had been scouting these partiucular birds for about 3 weeks!I think it was in 84 but notquite sure,anyway there were a trio of longbeards that I had put to bedthenight before.At daybreak they were singing there sweet music to my ears when all the sudden those pesky ladies interrupted our conversation and at flydown began to slowly take them away![:@]The country I was hunting was very steep and uneven withlittle finger ridges making there way down into the bottom of a canyon I was in.The birds began to line out,moving up one of these finger ridges so Imade a move to cut down below them and get ahead of them on the ridge they were on.I made my way below them and than cut outahead of them and made my way up the ridge they were on!One of themistakes I made was I didn't get far enouigh ahead of them!!As I almostreached the top I looked back down the ridge and could see birds headed my way,so I gave them a few yelps and just as I started forward a bird gobbles right in front of me on the top!I got on one knee hoping to see a fan first but all the sudden just to my right heres a bigole longbeardnot more than 8 steps staring right at me!I moved my gun on him and just as I pulled the trigger remember seeing that big red head duck back over the crest but it was to late as Isent a load of magnum 4's sailing over his head!Yes I was aggravated but live and learn.....now before I use a turkey call I do it from a set-up position!This wasn't the only time I've made this same mistake...not no more!!