Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mouth Call

Old 12-26-2005, 04:57 PM

Default Mouth Call

i just bought a MAD Calls "High Ball 2" mouth call. but i cant get any sound out of it. the directions read "place the call carefully against the roof of your mouth keeping the shortest reed on top and facing out. (this is opposite of all mouth calls on the market)" what am i doing wrong. btw ive never used one. also i got a Knight & Hale Lonesome Hen Call. help please.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mouth Call

Rat , all mouth calls work the same way, Horse shoe opening out, longest reed to the top or Tab down , place it half way on your tongue and then put your tongue onto the roof of your mouth , take a deep breath and go HECK. Once you get that high pitch , keep the note for a few seconds. Now if you take and lower your Jaw as you have that same note , the pitch will drop keeping a steady flow of out going air. The yelp is 2 notes 1/ high and 1 / low put togeather faster and you got the turkey yelp...BT
Old 12-26-2005, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

The shortest reed goes below not on top. You will also have to trim it as well.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:25 PM

It takes LOTS of practice. Check out Cain Creek calls. They are about the same price as most other calls, but sound A LOT better. JMO
Old 12-27-2005, 09:20 AM

thanks for the info. i can make sound now but im not consistent with it. ill keep practicing. does anyone else have one of those Knight & Hale lonesome hen calls?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:37 AM

You mean the little green hand held call? If so, I had one and didn't like it at all. I really like most of Knight and Hale's stuff, but that one was a waste of money in my opinion. I couldn't ever get it to sound right and it wasn't built good at all.

I am sure that many like it, but I didn't.

A lot of people are probably going to jump on me about this, but if you want to get serious with callin', stop buying the stuff from wal-martand other mass produced stuffand buy some custom stuff. I done it about two years ago and I was amazed at how much better the calls sound. And at how much money I saved. Instead of having to buy ten calls to get one that sounded good, I could buy ONE.

There is a BIG difference b/t "show grade" custom calls and "hunter grade" custom calls. The show grade calls are going to be a lot more expensive b/c they look good. The hunter grade calls sound just as good, if not better. They just don't have all the pozazy looks whichs makes them cheaper in price. Some of the best calls I've ever seen came out of little ole men's garages, not by the big name guys.A lot of them only ask for enough money to cover materials and a pic of a few birds that you kill using their calls.

Samegoes formouth calls. I bet you I boughta few100 of them until oneday one of my buddies told me about Cain Creek calls. They are custom made callsthat are the same price, and in some cases cheaper than mass produced mouth calls.

Mouth calls are tricky.You have to find one that fits YOUR mouth. I am a member of another forum and a guy onit makes custom mouth calls.Just about everyone on the forum uses his calls and LOVE them, but when I tried them, I couldn't get them to work. Not that they are bad calls,I've seen the results of his calls. They just didn't fit my mouth right. Finding a right mouth callfor metook a lot of work and money. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well StrutBPS , I hate to disagree with your statements but >I'm going too !

All though Custom calls are sometimes good , the reason of difference is the grade of woods that are placed in these call to repo sound tones that you can not get from mass production. The reason mass production is not as good is because the average hunter will not pay 100's of dollars for a good quality made call. Another difference in Friction type calls are the woods put into Strikers to run these type of pot calls or the Combo woods put into the paddle and box on a Box call.

The same applies with mouth calls , Yes some mouth calls sound better then others , but on the larges point , its the reed number + reed thickness+ reed cut that changes the sound of how one mouth call works over another with anyone person.

Mass production calls are done in lines , that you may have a little difference in the same trype of cut , but on a hunting note , it don't mean a great difference in the woods. Custom calls are generally built one at a time. One of the main reasons for this was for the compation caller that was looking for the consitency in mouth calls. At the same time these calls could be built from the thickness of laytex that the user felt better using.

Over all for a person to start out on a mouth call and learn how to use the call , he or she should start with a 2 reeded 3 mil Clear call. A clear call is a call with No reed cuts in the call at all.

One problem a lot of first time mouth call users have is advice from callers that have used calls for a couple or few years and believe what they are blowing is the best of the best, in fact it is not the best to start out with.

So if you want to learn fast and easy ,, the Wallmart Calls are ok as long as they are 2 reeded clear calls.

I know this because I also make my own mouth calls for comp's and have for years. mass production calls are every bit as good as calls custom or hand made , its the one useing the call that makes the difference...BT
Old 12-27-2005, 04:32 PM

Ill second Cane Creek, made right here in KY as well. Ill be picking up the Custom Slate and the regular glass calls plus some of their mouth calls in the coming days!
Old 04-15-2007, 04:15 PM

I don't get how you are suppose to use it at all I have the ww220 the killer bee one and it doesn't make any noice it just makes me talk weird plz give me any help you can thanx
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

If I were you I would look into primos calls. Thats all I use. I can't find any mouth calls, or slate calls better. I have killed I don't know how many turkeys from the deadly double diaphram. The turkeys just seem to love it over all my other calls sometimes. I'd give them a try

Quick Reply: Mouth Call

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.