Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Natural mouth calling

Old 12-15-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Natural mouth calling

Just wondering how many others out there don't need a turkey call. I started by using my tongue and called turkeys in that way. Now, my tongue is at ease and I use my throat. Its hard to explain but it sounds really good. Called in many turkeys using this technique. I can yelp and cluck. I working on the purr which is a little more complicated. So, anyone else have this talent?
Old 12-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Natural mouth calling

Yes, and I practice all the time. Problem is, some mornings, your throat is dry, which doesn't help when trying to make those sounds. That's why I carry many other types of calls in my turkey vest.
Old 12-15-2005, 10:13 PM

Yeah...gottcha I got the ole slate call to back me up. It can make some beautiful sounds.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 AM

I sound fair with natural voice, but since I sound better with a mouth call, I just never do it au naturale.

I've got a 13 yearold nephew that sounds just like a dad gum turkey with his voice. He can mimic pretty much anything. Does the best hawk locator call I've ever heard.

Hal
Old 12-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh there are days when you could make any ole sound with the natural mouth and call in birds and then there are other days you might as well throw the kitchen sink at em. I've called them in while not hunting using my voice but I'd rather have a mouth call and pockets full of frictions.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

I can use my natural voice to call as well. Only thing I cant master is the gobble. The purr is easy just roll your tongue when you purr. then add a cluck before you purr or after and it sounds sweet. I have pet easterns here and mimic them all year long.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:12 PM

I started with just playing around mimicing the calls. Once at work a guy was using a mouth call and I threw a call back at him, he accused me of having a call in my mouth, didn't know i was that good. Since that time I have been practicing with purrs, changing tones etc and I think I got a good veriaty. A co-worker has taught me to gobble, basically say gobble, gobble really fast. I have not mastered that yet.

Anyways I am going to try it this spring.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:48 PM

I can do a decent purr sometimes but its not always a sure thing. I still need a little practice with that. I can gobble a little but wouldn't do that in the spring anyway. I like to owl hoot as well.

Rob: Don't get my wrong, the slate is riding shotgun.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm like Rob.I've called em in with my voice but when I gotta gun in my hand I prefer to have a call in my mouth.My 14 yr oldson is pretty good with his voice.He's been doin it since age 2.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jim , you sound like a squeeky Gate

just kiddin ya bud ...BT

Quick Reply: Natural mouth calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.