Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot? >

Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Old 12-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Nitro........................ enough said
Old 12-10-2005, 09:26 PM

lol.......
ORIGINAL: bullshooter

Nitro........................ enough said
Old 12-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll just tell you what I shoot. The gun isa Remington 11-87 Super Magnum. The last 2 years I was shooting with a Truglo StrutStopper choke tube and Remington Hevishot 3.5in 6's. I killed bird at 55 yards with that setup 2 years ago. Last year 35 yards was my farthest shot. This year I plan on shooting the new Hevi-13 loads through a HS Strut Undertaker choke tube. Just ordered the choke. Man I'm getting excited!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:35 PM

I shoot a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag with 3 1/2" Federal #5's with a ported barrel and Kick's Gobblin Thunder choke. That gun flips 3'x3'x3' boxes into the air at 40 yds. So you can imagine the capability of that combo.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:08 PM

Thanks for info on the 1187 remington im thinking i will probably go with the sps-t remington 12ga i like the commets ive seen on this model and i am a remington nut i love the remington guns.Ive always shot remington but i was thinking about going with a m1 bennelli 12ga but the price is what throws me for a loop...[:-]But anyway thanks for info
Old 12-12-2005, 04:17 AM

My dad has the 11-87 SPS-T with monte carlo stock and Tru-Glo sights. He is shooting Hevi-Shot through it and has patterned well, but he hasn't had a shot at a turkey since he bought it last spring.

My dad was also leaning toward the M1 with the pistol grip. But because of the price and the aluminum receiver making it kick like a mule, he decided to go with the 11-87.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Vidoes have miss lead you a little. Next time you watch one , wait for the shot and count How many strudes the hunter makes to get to the turkey. These guys don't have guns that will shoot birds out 75 yards , its just the video that makes the turkey look so far away.

By taking some time and studying some of the formulas in what guns tend to shoot right , you can very well put togeather a turkey thumper. I have built 2 guns over the years and now shoot the 20gauge.

Here's the pattern I get at 40 yards with my 20. This pattern don't make me shoot any farther , I still wait for the birds to get into 20-30 yards. I just like the added serceruty of a good shooting gun.

...BT
Old 12-13-2005, 08:41 PM

Very nice pattern thats what we want when the moment presents itself.Very nice for a 20ga pattern at 40 yards.Thanks for info and yes maybe your right them shots looks to be 70+ yards.It looks like there using a deer rifle on them turkeys but we all know there shotguns...lol
Old 12-14-2005, 06:55 AM

Cutting thier heads clean off at 12 paces (last years turkey) is a good time, but hunt turkeys long enough and you'll have a 20 lb. bird hang up around 40-45 yards and come no further. It's even worse when you have to not shoot because you're not sure that you're equipment will perform at those distances.

It's like Adrian said, I can get 'em into 20 and under.....but if they don't play I know my gun can reach out and tag 'em anyway.

Very good that it's been said not to follow everything you see in a video. Not only does the camera lens make things look like they are further away, but that camera man is very rarely sitting next to the hunter. Most times the camera is a good 10-20 yards behind the shooter, as to not screw up the hunt.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Okie807

These are all great suggestions, but I would take a different approach. Watch the videos for entertainment value. I love watching them too, but that's about all they're good for. I'd recommend working on your calling and your set up. Getting a shot inside of 40 yards is not that much more difficult, and it's surely a lot more fun and exciting. Just my 2 cents.
Very good advice!!

One thing I would add, be sure that your gun has a super pattern all the way out to 40 yards. This way you will have the "40 and under" range covered, where 99.9% of your shots will be taken!! Taking 50+ yard shots isn't what this sport is about. Practice on your calling ability,the art of sitting still, and patience. These three things will get you your bird more times than trying to bust them at 50+ yards!!

Quick Reply: Best Choke Tube & Shotgun Combo 40+ yard shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.