Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

O/U Shotguns

Old 12-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default O/U Shotguns

Who uses one? What are your experiences? I'm considering a Ruger Red Label.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: O/U Shotguns

tennhunter,

I have an O/U, Browning Citori (older model) that doesn'thave choke tubes. I have never used it for turkey hunting, but wouldn't hesitate if it had removable tubes so that I could get the most out of it. Just be sure and pattern your gun with different loads.

dog1
Old 12-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Fork Horn

It seems to me an o/u would be perfect. With different choke tubes in both barrels , you could have a more consistent pattern for both long and short shots. With only a tight choke, those short shots at 10-15 yrs may have a pattern only the size of a tennis ball.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:48 PM

tennhunter,

that would only work if you had double triggers. cause i believe to get to the barrel selector on most single trigger guns (if they have one) you have to break it open. which wouldn't work so well with a big gobbler on top of you.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

C Web,
I haven't checked all o/u's but the Ruger Red Label has a very convienient barrel selector next to the safety.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:18 PM

well then it would be perfect. sorry, the ones i had looked at you had to break the barrel to get to the selector switch. how much does a new red label go for.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

A new one is around $1,100-$1,200. I can get a used one for $800. Other than the price, I'm wondering why more hunters don't use one for turkey hunting. I keep thinking I may be missing something.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM

Why don't more folks use O/Us for turkey hunting? There are several reasons with cost being the primary reason. Most decent quality O/Us are gonna run over $1k for starters. That is well above most shotguns used in the turkey woods. Another factor is there aren't that many full camo O/Us on the market. Another is 3.5" guns, Browning only built a 3.5" Citori with camo and Duratouch for about 1-2 years. Of the big makers, I don't know anyone else that builds a similar rig. The cheap imported crap from Turkey and parts wherever are just that, CHEAP CRAP. If you have ever hunted/owned a Citori or Onyx you can feel the crap like the new Mossberg O/U with only picking it up once.

Another reason is tubes. The vast majority of turkey tubes on the market are extended and many are ported. Other than a handful of competition chokes (like the Midas system from Browning) extended tubes are not an option for O/Us and sidebys. I suppose you could just put one in one barrel and go full with the other but that seems a lil silly too me. Another factor is weight. You are carrying around 2 barrels and a heavy reciever, especially if you DO have one of those 3.5" O/Us. And if you want a red dot scope on the setup you are about out of luck unless you go with a less than preferable (and unsightly) rib mount bracket.

With regards too the selectors, Browning, Beretta and Remingtons O/Us all feature the barrel selector built into the safety. You get used to that after a time or two out with the gun. I occasionally use my Citori Special Steel for ducks and the ol gal has fixed tubes so I must switch "on the fly" or as the birds are coming into the dekes. But I have had the gun for many years and it is second nature.

Nope for a turkey gun I want a FULL BOAT powered pump or auto. I have used many of my shotguns for turkeys on my annual trip too southern MO. But NONE of them (including my 870 Supermag) can stack up too my ol 835 UltiMag with a Rhino tube, a 45mm red dot and 2.25ozs of Nitro triplex loads!!!
RA

ps
Another point I forgot to make is that with multiple barrels you must sacrifice something and that is exact pointing. I forget the exact yardage but most high quality O/Us are made to "cross paths" at a given distance (I want to say something like 30yds or so but honestly can't remember). That means that the center of your pattern isn't going to be precise with that kind of gun. Not something to be concerned with while wing shooting. But if you are a real pattern fanatic for turkeys you will be bothered by that!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

Red,
Thanks for your insightful response. All are very good points that you've mentioned. I'll stick with my 870.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:35 AM
Typical Buck

I use an o/u for turks, and I love it. I use a full choke for the top barrel and a modified for the under. I figure that if I have to use the second barrel, I've already missed with the first shot and I want to open up with the second. I've not had to use the second barrell yet on a bird, though. I shoot a Fausti imported by Traditions. Is it a Red Label or Citori? Nope, and I'd never claim it was even close, but for what I use it for and the difference in prices between my Fausti and the two above, I'm happy. But I'm by no means an "o/u guy" so for me the function is more important than the look and the Fausti gets it done. Carlson makes some aftermarket chokes for the Fausti, and those have performed well. As far as saying an o/u isn't as good as a pump or autoloader because you have 1 (or more) less shots, it is true, but honestly, if you've whiffed on the first 2 shots, you don't have a good shot of hitting the bird (which is sure to be in flight by now)with an extra shot anyhow.

To each his own, but I'll stick with my o/u for turks even though I own other shotguns. The o/u just seems to be a good fit for what I need when it comes to turks.

Slice

Quick Reply: O/U Shotguns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.