Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Coyotes and Turkeys

Old 11-29-2005, 02:14 PM
Spike

Default Coyotes and Turkeys

Last spring I hunted a farm that has always been good to me in the past all season. There were more turkeys there than ever before. It was amazing, we could roost birds and set up early and listen to them going crazy on the roost. But as soon they hit the ground, SILENCE. They would be quiet all day. They were always on the move. [:'(]

When we would set up in front of where they were going they would not come or respond to our calling, or decoys when we used them.

However, the coyotes were everywhere. We would set up and within 20 mins of our calling they were right on top of us. In our decoys, sneaking around us. They were everywhere!!! [:@]

Has this ever happened to you? If it has, what tactics do you use to get around it?

Old 11-29-2005, 02:23 PM

Default RE: Coyotes and Turkeys

If the turkeys are shutting up just as soon as they hit the ground I would imagine that they are immediately hooking up with hens. If the area you are hunting is heavily populated with hens your best bet will be later in the season when most of the hens have been bred. As for the coyotes my suggestion would be to go out in the when you are not turkey hunting and shoot all of them them that see (If they are in season).
Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Spike

We did shoot 2 coyotes, but if the gobblers were with hens they were with them for 6 weeks straight.

Is that normal? I've never seen that. If that was the case wouldn't they at least gobble back occasionally?

I appreciate the advice, if this happens again I'm going to have to get a varmint rifle!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 08:21 AM

Your proble is obviously not too many hens. If you saw a bunch of yotes....your problem is coyotes. Even henned up turkeys in the morning usually split up by midmorning or afternoon. Anyhow you obviously need to be coyote hunting this winter and see if that changes your luck in the turkey woods this spring. Good luck-
Old 12-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Spike

Thanks for the tips, I guess I better try the varmint hunters forum next!!
Old 12-04-2005, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep j-c coyotes can be royal pain in the neck!! I've actually seen a coyote with a half grown turk in is mouth before!!And trust me when I say there one of the smartest animals on the planet!Once they get a taste for turkey,its a tough go getting them to move on and the guys are right in stating eradicating them by trapping/hunting is the best way to go.One other alternative is try hunting later in the day!Once all the morning activity has calmed down theres a very good possibilty the yotes might move on to greener patures!As many birds as your describing theres a good possibilty a few of those birds filter back on your ground later in the morning or even early afternoon!Dont know your legalshooting/hunting hours but late morning to early afternoon hunts have on many occasions turned out to be some of my best!!good luck Bob
Old 12-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Spike

Thanks bob. We can hunt until 7 p.m. in Ontario now, I will try andthin the coyotes out a bit andtry hunting a bit later as well.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I heard from a trapper in Sask. that shooting 'yotes just makes more 'yotes. By culling the popluation, the females can breed more often becausethere's always some "space" (niche) available. I thought the guys was nuts when I heardhim say it. After a bit of thought, Ithink he may be on to something.

That being said, we don't have a 'yote problem here, but a feral dog one. We usuallycull them when a shot presents itself...it seems to work, at least for a few weeks.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

A couple years ago I dropped a yote that busted my setup. I had two birds pounding several hundred yards away and within minutes I had them under 100 and coming....answering every call, suddenly putts and wings flapping and I couldn't understand. I know no one walked in on me....trust me, so I called, nothing, called again, nothing....suddenely I saw a yote sneeking in and understood. I settled into my Mossberg and called lightly with my mouth call, he snuck in closer, stopping to assess the situation being the stealth predator he was, at 30 yards he looked me in the eyes and the 835 rolled him arse over tin cups...
Old 12-17-2005, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here ya go Rob!!!!A little feathers and fur!!!

Quick Reply: Coyotes and Turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.