Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall turkey tactics

Old 09-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Fall turkey tactics

Indiana will hold it's very first Fall turkey season this year . The season will be either sex , and there's a grey phase hen that I'd really love to "pin down" with a 2219 tipped with a Thunderhead .

I'm still very new to turkey hunting in general , can anyone suggest some Fall tactics ?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:28 AM

Default RE: Fall turkey tactics

Good Luck if you are planning to single out one particularbird; especially with a bow! You will most certainly have to use a blind or else the other turkeys will spot you drawing. As for tactics find the food source they are using, and there may be more than one on any given day. With a bow you will almost have to break-up the flock and try to call them back together for a chance.
Old 09-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I have several pop-up blinds and others that I can use , what kinds of calls should I use ?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: kevin1

I have several pop-up blinds and others that I can use , what kinds of calls should I use ?
during the fall season here(ny) i set up between the roosting area and a food source. while in the blind i will use soft clucks,kee kee calls and on occasion a gobble call.

in the morning you can be fairly aggressive with the calling but after the flock has formed up i will tone down my calls to mimic a stray bird.

in the late afternoon i will set up aproximatly 100 yards or so from the roosting area to try and get a bird on its way back to roost.

best of luck to you this fall
Old 09-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

turkey with a bow,Man you're a glutton for punishment j/k.My favorite tactic for fall huntin is scatter them then call em back.Here's an ideal picture.The night before ya hunt you scatter the birds from the roost(this is a family flock,hens and young birds)Be right at the scatter sight before daylight,Soon as it get's light all hell will break loose.You'll hear birds callin from all directions.Imitate the calls ya hear and they will come.Now here's the catch,If ya here a bird stayin in one place and just yelpin her head off.Get up and run her off.She's the boss hen and they know her voice,Almost impossible to call them away from her.Hint,Learn to kee-keeNow if you're plannin on huntin old gobblers,The best tactic is to find where they're hangin out and just wait.Don't call much and when ya do mostly use clucks.I scattered a group of 5 longbeards once and it took almost 2 whole days till they tried to regroup and I got a shot.Good Luck to ya
Old 09-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my favorite tactics is to bust them the evening before you hunt out of the roost if you know where there roosting!For some young birds this could create a situation where this could possibly be the first time they've slept alone!The next morning I garruntee they'll be screamin to get back together and give you a great opportunity to call in a lost bird or two!!