Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Heavy Shot # Suggestion

Old 07-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heavy Shot # Suggestion

Hi All,

I have a stoeger 2000 with the factoryTurkey choke (.673). I would like to try a box of Heavy Shot in it to get ready for the fall hunt. What number should I try? I will be shooting 3". I would also like to know if you have specific experience shooting Heavy shot from this constriction, .673.

Thanks
Tom
Old 07-25-2005, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heavy Shot # Suggestion

673-I would reccomend using 1/1/2 oz shot with # 4
High Velocity. Very good combo.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 PM

[8D]
Hey StatJunk.

Like you Ijust gota brand new 2000. I love my "Benelli Light".

After cleaning the living heck out of it, (yes, it was new but full of that super thick greese) ) I lubricated it with Militec 1. http://www.militec-1.com/

It's slick!!

It cycles even the lightest loads I can find!

I used Hevi-13, 3" -6's last year to harvest my World Class Rio. (91.375 - NWTF)
I took him with my fully custom Winchester 1200.

He twitched twice...that's all. Clean..

Personally, I want as many pellets in the pattern as possible, that's why I choose 6's.

I have not yet patterned the Benelli...er...Stoeger..
I'll be using it for dove, quail, pheasant, goose and duck. After those seasons are over, I'll put on the Tru-Glow adjustable sights. Then I will be patterning itjust before the springseason.

The Benelli reps tell me that the XFT choke was designed and engineeredto be the optiminum restriction with this shotgun / bore combo.

We'll see.

Send me an e-mail and as the season wears on, I'll send you reports. We can exchange notes.

[email protected]

Bill

Old 07-25-2005, 07:50 PM

I would use #6 because you get alot more bb's and you are still getting as good volectyas lead #4. I killed one at a little better than 30yrds with my 20ga and # 6 hevi and it didnt even flop once.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Treetoe,

Sure we can keep notes. I took a jake last year at about15 yards with a Winchester Supreme #5. For some reason my stoeger patterns really well with just about any shot. Shoot at 20 yards the pattern indicates that it will decapitate the turkey. I didn't decapitate my turkey but I could have been slightly off because of the excitement.

I want to try heavy shot because I witnessed an amazing shot last year. My friend/hunting partner took a turkey at 61 yards with barely a flop. The only issue is that he has a choke that is .655 constriction. So essentially I don't want to waste my money on heavy shot if it isn't going to improve my shot. I will probably see if I can find the Heavy Shot in a #5 so that I will be playing it in the middle. Otherwise I will just take the #6.

Tom
Old 07-27-2005, 01:06 PM

Tom

(Thats a cool name for a turkey hunter don't you think??!)

You can get all sorts of choke tubes for your Stoeger. It uses the same thread size/count as it's big brother the Benelli SBE. Just buy one for the Benelli.

If you want a .655 constriction, I'd choose either the Rhino or the Terror.

I have a Terror Tube in .655 on my Winchester and it's deadly out to 50! I patterned it out to 40, then for giggles, put a target out at 50. I patterned the same at 50 as it did at 40. Same pellet count in the vitals.

There is NO WAY I'd shoot a Tom at 60! Sorry...no dice. I hate wounding.

BTW, the Winchester Supremes are great loads. Those 5's will do the job. I just think 6's are better, especially at longer ranges where the pellet count is more important than the slightly smaller knockdown. REMEMBER that we shoot for the neck, not the body!! 6 #6's in the neck at 40 will drop him in his tracks.

I'm not sure if you are aware that both Winchester and Federal have now come out with shot that rivals Hevi-Shot. They are available and about 25 bucks a box of 10. Not cheap but how much is that 20 lb Tom worth? If you said any more than $2.50, it's worth it.

NWTF had a great artical aboutthe new loadingsin last month's "Turkey Call" magazine. I gave my copy to my brother to read on his way home on the plane so I can't tell you the exact names of the newest stuff. They sound awesome.

Anyone still have their copy who can help me?

Bill

Old 07-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I hate to toss an ice cude in your fire , but I have to disagree with your opinion on number 6 shot. I would not even consider a shot at 50 yards with a 4 let alone with a 6. I can not tell you how many hunters and turkeys I have seen shot at and the resaults in nuber 6 shot just makes me sick. I've got I don't trust number 6 at 35 yards or 40.

The problem with turkey hunters and their shotguns are that they seem to fall trap to the #6 shot loads , Why ? because it seems to be the only load that will shoot in anygun and achieve a percentage rate of shot in a target.

Patterning guns is the idea , and starting out with 4-5 is the best. No your not going to get the percentage count as you would by #6 because there is a higher amount of shot in a number 6 load, but find something in a little larger that will have the energy to make a impact on the birds at that 40 yard shot.

The thing you have to remember is how many times have you seen the Miss or hit and not get shots. This is something that hunter don't talk about let alone bring up to anyone, but I know for a fact it happens to near everyone. No matter what gun you shoot and the distance your shooting at , you are not going to get the same shot pattern everytime.

Chokes are the big factor in finding the right shot pattern in any load. There is some great shooting chokes out there and I have used and tested some of the top chokes one can find. In order of my findings in testing turkey guns, Precission ,Rhino,Comp-N-Choke are three of the best shooting chokes out there. Each constriction with handle different shot loads in a different way. The best Combo finding I've had are ,

Precission .660 with Winchester Copper #5, 12 gauge
Rhino .675 with Winchester Copper #5 20 gauge
Precission .675 with Nitro Company # 4-5-7 20 gauge

When shooting Copper shot you can use that tigher choke , but always keep in mined Tigher is not better. The taper of a choke will create a different pattern aswell. Thin wall chokes cannot compete with the exstended chokes because of this such tapper that is set in the extended choke design.

Hevi-Shot is a large Diam choke in the .675 - .680 this is because the shot is hard and does not give in the choke. Some guns will shoot better with the tigher choke constriction , but the quaulity of steal used in these chokes are important. The best steal with withstand the harder shot. With this being said steal quaulity is going to cost in the price of the chokes.

When I started turkey hunting back in the 80's/90's I started with a 10 gauge. I have since built turkey guns and worked with testing untill I could find a smaller gauge that would out shoot the gauge I had. I have since went from the 10 to the 12 and from the 12 to the 20 with each gun out patterning the one I was using...BT
Old 07-28-2005, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of similar stuff about the #6s. I will avoid them in the future. Thanks for the info.

Tom
Old 08-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Adrian J Hare

Well I hate to toss an ice cude in your fire , but I have to disagree with your opinion on number 6 shot. I would not even consider a shot at 50 yards with a 4 let alone with a 6. I can not tell you how many hunters and turkeys I have seen shot at and the resaults in nuber 6 shot just makes me sick. I've got I don't trust number 6 at 35 yards or 40.

The problem with turkey hunters and their shotguns are that they seem to fall trap to the #6 shot loads , Why ? because it seems to be the only load that will shoot in anygun and achieve a percentage rate of shot in a target.

Patterning guns is the idea , and starting out with 4-5 is the best. No your not going to get the percentage count as you would by #6 because there is a higher amount of shot in a number 6 load, but find something in a little larger that will have the energy to make a impact on the birds at that 40 yard shot.

The thing you have to remember is how many times have you seen the Miss or hit and not get shots. This is something that hunter don't talk about let alone bring up to anyone, but I know for a fact it happens to near everyone. No matter what gun you shoot and the distance your shooting at , you are not going to get the same shot pattern everytime.

Chokes are the big factor in finding the right shot pattern in any load. There is some great shooting chokes out there and I have used and tested some of the top chokes one can find. In order of my findings in testing turkey guns, Precission ,Rhino,Comp-N-Choke are three of the best shooting chokes out there. Each constriction with handle different shot loads in a different way. The best Combo finding I've had are ,

Precission .660 with Winchester Copper #5, 12 gauge
Rhino .675 with Winchester Copper #5 20 gauge
Precission .675 with Nitro Company # 4-5-7 20 gauge

When shooting Copper shot you can use that tigher choke , but always keep in mined Tigher is not better. The taper of a choke will create a different pattern aswell. Thin wall chokes cannot compete with the exstended chokes because of this such tapper that is set in the extended choke design.

Hevi-Shot is a large Diam choke in the .675 - .680 this is because the shot is hard and does not give in the choke. Some guns will shoot better with the tigher choke constriction , but the quaulity of steal used in these chokes are important. The best steal with withstand the harder shot. With this being said steal quaulity is going to cost in the price of the chokes.

When I started turkey hunting back in the 80's/90's I started with a 10 gauge. I have since built turkey guns and worked with testing untill I could find a smaller gauge that would out shoot the gauge I had. I have since went from the 10 to the 12 and from the 12 to the 20 with each gun out patterning the one I was using...BT
Hey Adrian, thanks for beating me too it! These old boys are hung up on that # 6 theory. Thanks for the support.
Another Match made in heaven: Primo's tight wad #4 High Velocity Hevi shot! Does the trick!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't get me wrong, but personally I don't think it matters what shot you use if you call them in close, therfor garanteeing the shot to count. I have shot all my birds under 25 yards.All with one shot useing #6's, &4's in 12 guage and 5's in 20 guage. My gun is a cheap Mossberg 500 w/ 26 in barrel in 3", bought from a pawn shop, set up with camo and a simmons scope. Less than $175 invested. I for one couldn't drag an expensive gun like a Bennelli thru all the mud and rain I end up hunting in. But thats justmho.

Quick Reply: Heavy Shot # Suggestion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.