Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 I have to get into it!!! >

I have to get into it!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I have to get into it!!!

Old 05-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default I have to get into it!!!

I went out to work on my food plot of clover yesterday and took a walk when I got done. I heard a tom going off so I decided to play around a little. I have only hunted turkeys once and had no luck at all but this here changed it for me.

I listened to where the bird was and started making my way toward it while calling with my voice. He was answering back so I thought what the heck, lets keep going. I moved to what I felt was a close enough position to try and get him close and kept calling getting a response almost every time. I tucked myself in behind a tree, I was wearing jeans and a white t-shirt so I had to hide myself, and continued to call. I finally got him into sight and pulled him in to about 50 yds. Seeing him react to my voice calling was awsome. I know I could have got him closer but I didn't want to spook him so I backed out.

Next year I will make sure to get a permit and chase one with the bow, I cannot wait!!! I haven't even shot one and I am addicted!!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I have to get into it!!!

Thats how it starts. The first morning I ever went out my dad and I called one in to about 30 yards, I missed him and didn't get another shot that year. It didn't matter I was hooked for like. Two more seasons past without getting a shot, but I heard and saw a lot of birds everyyear but the closest I got one was 50 yards. The fourth year I went I took a bow and shot a couple times, once too far and the other was about 12 yards and I was thinking about 20 and skimmed his back. 4 years of not getting a bird and It was still my favorite thing in the world to do. Then my 5th year I got 2. Got 2 this year as well. It is awesome! Welcome to the Obsession and good luck next year. Feel free to ask us any questions you may have.