Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trail Cam repair question >

Trail Cam repair question

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Trail Cam repair question

Old 01-25-2021, 07:47 AM
Spike

Default Trail Cam repair question

Greetings all. I'm new to forum and trail cam ownership. I recently made a purchase and after a month on tree, a woodpecker found it and damaged the Fresnel lens cover. I am including a couple of pics and hoping someone can direct me where I might find a replacement and the difference between the light colored lens vs the dark color that I own. I reached out to manufacturer and I'm not having much luck finding replacement parts from them.

【2020 Upgrade】 Campark Mini Trail Camera 16MP 1080P HD Game Camera Waterproof Wildlife Scouting Hunting Cam with 120° Wide Angle Lens and Night Vision 2.0” LCD IR LEDs
Old 01-25-2021, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where did you buy it? If it was at Amazon, they have a pretty liberal return policy.

Have you tried the email address from the manufacturer for support?
[email protected]
Old 01-25-2021, 08:18 AM
Spike

Thanks Elkman, It was Amazon and I have purchased a replacement at a reduced price. I was hoping original could be repaired to have a couple of them.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might try contacting Campark at the email addy I gave you. They might have replacement parts although II sorta doubt it since the cams are so cheap anyway. Another thing I noticed is the lens on these cams protrudes from the camera frame unlike most trail cams that have the lens recessed. With a lens that protrudes like that, it would tend to catch rays from the sun, have reflections from its surroundings and thus be more enticing for a critter to investigate. I've used other trail cams with recessed lenses and have never had a bird problem with the lens or camera. If you keep getting your camera lenses messed up by birds, you may want to consider a different brand of game camera with a recessed lens design.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:47 AM
Spike

Thanks. I have sent a message to them asking about replacement parts. I will update post when I get a reply
Old 01-26-2021, 12:00 PM
Spike

I found something that will work at this website:

"Snapshot Sniper"

0.9 Focal length Wide Angle Fresnel Lens

Old 01-27-2021, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose that could work and the lenses are certainly cheap enough. You would still want to know if the parts are designed to work with your camera's system. More importantly, how well do those parts hold up to inclement weather.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:23 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ghost1
I found something that will work at this website:

"Snapshot Sniper"

0.9 Focal length Wide Angle Fresnel Lens
Thank you, ghost1 - I ordered this lens from snapshotsniper.com, and my old Moultrie A-5 (Gen 2) model MCG-12699 is working again. The 0.9 focal length of the lens is inches, and my distance to the PIR sensor from the Fresnel lens recessed mounting seat of the camera's housing is more like 0.75 inch, so I just mounted it directly onto the outermost housing to get it closer to 0.9 inch. I paid the regular shipping cost up front, but Gary at Snapshot Sniper unexpectedly credited most of the shipping cost by mailing it in a regular letter envelope, so it only cost me about $4 total. Glad I could keep this old camera going versus trashing it - thanks again. FYI - my camera's original Fresnel lens became brittle, probably from prolonged UV exposure, and it crumbled to pieces when trying to wipe it clean.