Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Moultrie M880 Help >

Moultrie M880 Help

Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Moultrie M880 Help

Old 05-24-2014, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Moultrie M880 Help

I have two of the M880 Trail cameras. What I am finding, facing the camera: 1)only the left half light section illuminates, 2)when set to video (VGA or HD) I receive a wide black bar at the top and bottom of the video on play back in my computer. I have used various makes and sizes of SD cards up to 8GB with the same results. I have used new cards and reformatted cards. When first purchased I did not have this problem. I got full lights and no large black bars. The problem is it cuts off the animals head or feet or some times both.
When set for picture, everything works properly. Anyone have this problem or have any suggestions?
The cameras are still under the one year warranty, but shipping from Canada is just too costly. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2014, 05:20 PM
Spike

I have a recommendation that may help you out. Try updating the firmware on your Moultrie at www.moultriefeeders.com/firmwareupdates. More specific info can be found on their site. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buckmaster507
I have a recommendation that may help you out. Try updating the firmware on your Moultrie at www.moultriefeeders.com/firmwareupdates. More specific info can be found on their site. Good luck.
I did the firmware up date in both of the cameras as you suggested. It did not make any difference.
When I discovered the problem, I sent an email to Moultrie and as of this time, I have not had a reply from them. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Spike

I am having the same problem with one of my m-880s. I went and checked my camera last night and as a walked close I noticed that only the left half of the LEDs illuminated when it takes a night photo. I am now curious if any of my other m-880s are having the same problem. I know the one I replaced the faulty one last night with is working properly. So, do both of your cameras have this problem where only half the LEDs illuminate? I have my camera set on the default setting where it is just taking motion activated photos and I still have this problem. I dont know how long the problem has persisted but the night photos the camera has taken recently seem to be okay, not too dark. How do your night photos look when only half the LED illuminate?

Have you discovered a solution to getting this fixed? Could it be the batteries or SD card maybe?
Old 07-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jr8fish
I am having the same problem with one of my m-880s. I went and checked my camera last night and as a walked close I noticed that only the left half of the LEDs illuminated when it takes a night photo. I am now curious if any of my other m-880s are having the same problem. I know the one I replaced the faulty one last night with is working properly. So, do both of your cameras have this problem where only half the LEDs illuminate? I have my camera set on the default setting where it is just taking motion activated photos and I still have this problem. I dont know how long the problem has persisted but the night photos the camera has taken recently seem to be okay, not too dark. How do your night photos look when only half the LED illuminate?

Have you discovered a solution to getting this fixed? Could it be the batteries or SD card maybe?
I still have the problem, now with both cameras when set to video. I have tried new SD cards of different brands and also reformatted SD cards that I formally used. All my cards are formatted in my computer. I have checked the battery contacts to make sure they are clean. I have tried other brand new Ultimate Lithium and also new Duracell Copper Top batteries with the same result. All batteries were tested with a digital meter. Photos do not have the black bar at the top and bottom as the videos do. With these cameras, photos can be enlarged, where as videos can not using a SD card viewer. At present I am still using these cameras, but set them back a little farther off the trail to try to get more of the animal.
I have no plans to buy any more cameras in the near future as I have approximately 20 with 16 set out. I have less property now and very few animals in my two areas due to very long, cold, hard, deep snow type winters over the last three years causing starvation and does to abort due to lack of much needed food. Our hunting seasons have been shortened, some illiminated with the possibility of more illiminations.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is an update on the black bar problem showing up in the top and bottom of the video using the Moultrie M-880 when viewing the video on my computer. I was using the AVS4you program which is an excellent program and company to work with.
I recently tried using Windows Multi Media which came with my Windows 7 Ultimate operating system. I no longer have the black bar problem.
As a comparison, when using the slide button to review part of the video, the AVS4you is far superior being instant. The Windows Multi Media is very slow to respond (to bring up the selected video portion you wish to review).
Old 09-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

I think you should send the camera back as the bands of lights are different side to side....basically there is 2 sets of lights and one of yours has burnt out. I had this happen on one of my M80XDs. The camera still worked but did not have the flash range as if both bands worked.