Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Deer camera noise affects the first deer in that's the prob >

Deer camera noise affects the first deer in that's the prob

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Deer camera noise affects the first deer in that's the prob

Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Spike

Default Deer camera noise affects the first deer in that's the prob

If you look on the net to see if deer cameras affect deer you will see that it used to be white flash and people went to infrared. But lots of people get infrared pictures of deer staring at the camera.

So what's the problem you say. Well here it is, or at least part of the problem. The infrared flash and or shutter make noise and that triggers the deer to look at the camera just as the picture is taken.

Now that is the consensus on the net and on deer hunting forums. But does this noise scare deer away?, I say yes sometimes but more importantly it affects the movements and body language of the first deer that comes into the feed site. And these frequent head bobs facing a specific direction affects following and by-standing bucks that follow deer for exactly that reason, they watch the front deer to see if anything is not right.
And they respond to body language that they've been taught since they were young. Anything not right is indicated by that body language and sounds.
A following buck or by-standing buck watching the first doe that comes in is watching that body language and hearing the noise from the camera to back up what he is seeing.
Now here is my point, yes deer cameras affect deer that's the consensus but I don't think many people realize that it's indirect by deer watching the deer in front of the camera and not come in because of it's behavior. And watching deer are often bucks, that's the key, we may be missing following bucks that just plain stop coming in, not the initial deer which is often the doe that we don't care so much about anyway. Everybody gets tons of pictures of does but not so many bucks. I believe this could be part of the problem.
I also know that the low time delay that many manufacturers have put on their cameras is more of the culprit than people realize as well. Taking pictures maybe once per minute will maybe affect a deer every few minutes, but a camera that is constantly snapping and popping sounds that deer can hear is definitely going to affect that first deer in.
And as said his changed or negative behavior of likely bobbing his head up and down frequently is going to affect the other deer that would have come in if the time delay wasn't set so low. The low time delay takes tons of pictures of each deer anyway that hunters don't have the time to go through after a while. And the low time delay taking so many pictures is using up valuable battery power with unnecessary redundant pictures of the same deer.
So back off your time delay to 1 minute or so, you still get enough pictures of each deer but you won't change the behavioral movements of that first deer in so much.
Now I have people telling me that with the 1 minute time delay they are missing some of the action because the first deer could pass right through the site without stopping and following deer will be missed because the time delay disabling the camera with the first deer through. And yes during the rut a doe will pass right through some feed you've put down without stopping.

So we have a problem. A delay time to low takes too many pictures of the same deer causing all kinds of problems for other deer and for the hunter, but the 1 minute time delay can miss some of the action.

I have the solution. I've designed a method that can be used in just about any deer camera on the market. The solution uses a long time delay when it is the same deer at the site so as not to take too many pictures of the same deer. But as soon as that deer leaves, a formula is used that determines that deer has left the site and it readies the camera within seconds so as to not miss any of the following action. I welcome all comments/questions.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Spike

I agree with you 100% about the bedding areas being a very safe place for deer and there is very little if any affect by the camera, they are very used to it. But lots of people use scouting cameras for just that, scouting new areas or areas they can't get to very often. This is where you find deer that react differently to something new there and the sound it can make has the deer bobbing his head up and down with the noise they can hear that we can't, anyway, I agree with you about the bedding area, I'm just saying for new areas especially it is best to have a long time delay while it is the same deer and a short delay after it leaves.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Spike

100% + 100% +++++
Old 05-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

sure they might see/hear the camera...but deer arent going to move out of there. They get used to it and dont think anything about it once they figure out it cant or doesnt hurt them...if you go and check the camera daily that will do more harm than the camera.