Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Looking to purchase a few new trail cams. Advice? >

Looking to purchase a few new trail cams. Advice?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Looking to purchase a few new trail cams. Advice?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Spike

First thing is first I am the son of the owner and I am not trying to pressure you into buying from him. Just want to pass information to the OP. He has 3 moultrie cameras that are in your price range. They are not the top moultrie cameras but might work for you budget. They are the d333, d444, d555i. I have no experience with these so I can not say how good they are he will know. But I say let other members tell you what they think so that it is not a sales pitch. we also have the mp6 but it is $115. All of our stealth cams are under 100 but battery life has been bad with them and have had mixed reviews from customers.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Spike

My picks for cameras but are pushing your price limit would be m880 and m990. Right now a lot of sellers are dumping their moultrie's so watch out for good deals. And I mean anywhere not just us. Good luck
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I own 10 Moultries An old 55 which I started with and it still works and went to the XD80s (8) and now one i99 model.
As others have stated is all true, battery life is great using the AA's, picture quality is good, using the xd80s as a plot camera though does chew up battery life. The Hybrid setting (plot camera during the day and a trail camera at night) is a nice function. And on Trail Camera only battery life is in hundreds of days in all sorts of weather.

But if they malfunction they can not be repaired. I was rather dismayed with that!
I have one camera that went on 'SD card lock' and no longer takes pictures at all - it can not be repaired.
And another that I am told has a power issue. It takes browned out photos and still good night photos however this also can not be repaired. I must say these XD 80s have been in constant service.
So loosing 1/4 of what I use out in the field right now I am not real happy and will start trying a few other brands.
And I do have one old Cudde Back that I retired. Was not real pleased with that.

JW

Last edited by JW; 01-15-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can look on Amazon as well. They normally have some decent prices on trail cams.. But as others state do some research before you buy any.. I have been using an older Stealth Prowler and I love it except for the slower trigger time. The battery life is not as great as I normally can get around 3 months before replacing my c Duracells. But I had found out that the life on my batteries depends on where I purchase them for some strange reason?? I have tried to get them at wally world but they only last around 3 weeks from there? I am not sure if they purchase so many that they tend to die out quicker because of a slow turn over or what not?? So I purchase them at a higher cost to me and normally get around 3 months out of them?? Again no idea really as of why..