Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Need help!!!

Old 11-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need help!!!

So the other day i was walking to my stand when i came upon a Moultrie D55ir on the ground next to a fallen tree. After further inspection i noticed a name written on it, and it turned out to belong to another guy that hunts the property. I immediately texted him a photo of it and he said "Holy *&$#, that cam was stolen last season, please take it home with you and i'll pick it up tomorrow. Once i got home with it i noticed that the sd card was missing along with the batteries and it had some water dripping from the internal electrical area of the cam. I sent him another text telling him that it was full of water etc... and he said for me to just "trash it" or if i can get it to work i can just keep it. So last night i completely disassembled, and cleaned the cam. It wasn't that bad besides a few little rusty spots in the circuit board behind the flash LED's. Today on my way home from the woods i picked up some fresh batteries and to my surprise it fired right up and everything seems to check out ok. The problem that i am having is with the sd card not working. It says to use an sd card up to 16gb. I tried inserting two different cards that i had laying around the house and i couldn't get it to take any pics. I then hooked the cam to my computer via usb cable with an sd card installed and it said that i need to format the card so i clicked "ok" and i keep getting a message saying that "Windows is unable to complete the format". If i take the sd card out of the cam and insert it directly into my computer i am able to format the card but it still will not work in the cam. Am i missing something here? Do i have to be using a brand new out of the box sd card to get it to format? I am a total noob to trail cams, any all help is appreciated.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Try to fromat it in the trail cam.
It should work then.

Good Luck.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jrbsr
Try to fromat it in the trail cam.
It should work then.

Good Luck.
That's what i tried first. When i do that i get the "Windows was unable to format the disk" message.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

dstubb: Here is a link worth looking at: http://www.spypoint.com/EN/technical-support/faq.php Go down to the trouble shooting section. All my cards are formatted in my computer and are used in various makes and models of cameras. I would try a card no larger than a 4GB. at first, as some of the cameras will not accept the size that some manufactures claim. SanDisk, Adapta, Lexar and Verbatim have worked well for me. Older model cameras will not work with the newer version SD cards. Good luck.

Last edited by littlearrow; 12-01-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some cams don't support SDHC cards.
Have you downloaded the manual for the cam and are sure you're using the correct format for that camera?
Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

try a brand new card...I have a card that only takes about 4 pics and it says its full..even though its 16gb card.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Have the same cam and couldn't get it to work with a 16gb card. Used a 4 or 2 gb card and camera worked good.