Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Lots of activity last month. >

Lots of activity last month.

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Lots of activity last month.

Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lots of activity last month.

Actually put my camera out to scout turkeys and didnt get a single picture but the deer were running wild. Even had a few very curious ones... That buck stills has his antlers which is odd; shouldnt he have shed those? They cant be new, they arent in velvet. The month is wrong on the camera, these are from the end of March.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

cool...they know its not deer season
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wilcam47
cool...they know its not deer season
They must know something.... I see 3x as many deer when its not in season. Just like I see 3x as many Turkeys during deer season. If they would only switch the seasons one year Id be made.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

OhioNovice: I have seen where the odd buck has dropped antlers as early as the third week in December, while most shed in mid February to mid to late March. Pretty well most are shed by mid March. I have caught the odd buck in early April still holding but usually just one antler. I think maybe weather, food source, the bucks age or even genes may have some effect as to when bucks shed. Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Pictures....our Buck's were still holding onto Their Antlers well into the end of March and early April.A lot depends on the pressure of the Rut,the Weather and how much protien/nurishment a Deer gets as to how early they loose their Antlers.The Deer that have their antlers longer will also get a later start on their new antlers too.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Ive actually seen this deer a few times on trail camera and in person. He has a massive body and a relatively small rack so its makes sense about nutrition and getting a late start on growing antlers. I know he is at least 3 years old because that is how long I have had pictures of him, but he may be older.

I wish I could put out supplements but I cant because the farmer puts his cattle in this area and I know they would gorge themselves; not sure how the farmer would feel about me giving his cows mineral supplements.