Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Moultrie I-40 Problem >

Moultrie I-40 Problem

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Moultrie I-40 Problem

Old 01-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Moultrie I-40 Problem

I have a Moultrie I-40 out on public land and it's locked up within a camlock box, I know this cam is old but it does take great pictures and don't want my Bushnell Trophy cams stolen.

Anyway like I said it takes great pictures, once I set it up I always take a test picture, and upon my return while getting it out of the camlock box it takes another picture. But from time to time thru out the year it sometimes doesn't take pictures. A few times while sitting in my stand I had deer and bears in front of it and the cam never went off, but when I went to take it out of the box on those same days it would take a picture. I had the cam out from December 20th-28th with no pictures taken and installed fresh batteries, from December 28th till January 11th it took great pictures, but noticed it stopped taking pictures on January 5th, but on both occasions it took a picture of me while taking it out of the camlock box, and a test picture. Went back this past Friday no pictures, just the ones of me testing it on January 11th, and of me taking out of the box. Pictures are clean and clear.

I emailed Moultrie lastnight so I assume I will have a reply this week so I hope.

Has anyone experience such a problem like this?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you haven't done so, test your batteries with a digital meter. Any battery testing 1.0 to 1.2 volt, the camera will not function properly, or not at all. Even new batteries, fresh out of the package may contain a faulty one. When you checked your camera, the batteries may have recovered enough power to take a picture or two. Colder temperatures also effect batteries as they will not put out full power. If your camera takes AA (I'm not familiar with that brand of camera) going to Ultimate Lithium are expensive but good for cold weather. These test 1.79 to 1.83 volt. Another good brand is the Duracell Copper Top. These test 1.5 to 1.6 volt. Lithium does make "C" batteries which can be found doing a search on the Internet. I would not advise these in a trail camera as they are advertised at 3.6 volt each. The best of luck.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using Durcell Coppertop "D". The cam tells me on the % of battery life, I always change them once they get below 75%
Old 01-27-2013, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BOWHUNTERCOP
I'm using Durcell Coppertop "D". The cam tells me on the % of battery life, I always change them once they get below 75%
Thanks for the update. I don't rely on the camera battery percentage. This is why: Take a good quality battery like you are using. If it tests 1.6 volt when new which would be high for that battery. 1.6 volt x .75 (75% as you mention changing out) would show 1.2 volt. Now if the new battery were to test 1.5 volt and removing at 75% this would be 1.5 x .75 equals 1.125 volt. Both of these readings of 1.2 and 1.125 would be too low for the camera to function properly. As for digital meters, they run in a ball park figure of $20.00 and can be used for lots of electrical tests besides testing batteries.