Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Camera Angles

Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM
Spike

Default Camera Angles

Howdy there!

I've been scouting for sometime now, been seeing a few deer here and there. Although I have troubles ... All the bruisers are out and about in the early morning and late evenings and I'm not able to be out at that time due to school and work. I got me a new trail camera and I need some help with height and angle adjustments. I usually have the camera facing east so it doesn't get the sun in the morning. Is that the thing to do? Also the height, I've experienced with heights of fence posts and a little taller. Also distance is a big tuff to. I was just wondering if I could get some tips on this stuff so I can get some good pictures. Thanks!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

SmokinSD.243:
Tips: 1)Do not face east or west due to rising or setting sun. In the winter, a southerly direction can cause problems as the sun travels from east to west in a lower southerly arc as compared to summer when it is relatively crossing over head. These positions cause whiteouts due to over exposure.
2)My cameras are usually set three feet to waist high for deer. For small animals it should be set either lower or angled down a bit at this height.
3)Mounting a camera higher and angled downward helps to prevent deer from detecting it, theft prevention, but this greatly cuts down the viewing-detection angle.
4)Face the camera along a trail as opposed to across it. Trail cameras go into a sleep mode to save battery power. Animals coming along the trail have a greater chance to re awaken the camera.
5)Trim any grass, leaves or other vegetation that may be in front of the camera. Any movement of these items by wind will cause the camera to trigger. Rain and snow will do the same but one has no control over these things. If you are getting pictures of nothing but scenery temporily set your camera to video if it has this capability. This will show if you are picking up leaf, grass movement etc. caused by wind.
6)Use good quality batteries, checking with a digital meter before using and randomly checking when swapping out the SD cards. Any battery reading 1.0 to 1.2 volt, the camera will not function properly, or not at all. If your camera accepts AA batteries, one is able to use Lithium Ultimate in cold weather. These test out at 1.79 to 1.83 volt with a digital meter. They are high voltage. Another good battery is the Duracell Copper Top which tests 1.55 to 1.6 volt fresh out of the package.
7)Fasten the camera to a fence post or fairly large tree. Small trees will move in the wind causing false triggers.
8)Have spare either new or formatted SD cards to swap out when checking your camera. These can be viewed either on your computer, lap top or card reader (viewer) depending what you have. A digital photo viewer will not view video.
I usually check my cameras every week to ten days.
Good luck and have fun.