Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Trail cam help, different idea >

Trail cam help, different idea

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Spike

Default Trail cam help, different idea

I have been using trail cameras since the first 35mm Deercam came out in the late 1990s. Since then I have added a number of new cameras and have been using the Reconyx cameras the past few years. One thing that I have leaned over the years is to keep the cameras as high as possible to keep the deer from seeing them.

My idea for the upcoming season is to start setting up my cameras in my deer stands roughly 15 feet off the ground to monitor trails. Has anyone tried doing this before? If so, is there a camera that you found that works best?

To help make monitoring these cameras easier, I’m thinking about investing in a number of Spy Point Tiny w2 cameras that can be transmitted to a black box 100+ feet away. From there I can create a safe and secure place to store a number of boxes that would be used to monitor multiple stands. Has anyone used the Spy Point Tiny w2 cameras?

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 11-24-2012, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had camera for 6yrs and have always mounted them at around knee to waist levels and never had a problem with deer seeing them or getting spooked.
Hell the Reconyx is a black IR so you can't even see it go off.
I know as I have one.

Some cheap cameras make a clunking noise when going off but that Reconyx shouldn't make a peep or any kind of visual when taking a pic.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check this link: www.spypoint.com/EN/trail-cameras
Spy Point Tiny W: time lapse is 30 second to 90 second. If this is what other manufactures call "delay", I would say "no" to this camera. The lower the delay setting, the less chance of missing animals. This camera only has up to 50 foot of transmission distance.
Spy Point Tiny W 2: this one they list the video setting as 10 second to 90 second. Transmission distance is up to 250 feet. For these two reasons, if buying one of these cameras, this would be my choice. It will also be more expensive of the two.
Notes: 1)Spy Point cameras are well build, have a one year manufacture warranty and excellent customer service. These cameras are built in Canada but have lots of ditributers in the U.S.A.
2)a camera that accepts AA batteries is a bonus for cold weather use. One is able to use Lithium Ultimate batteries which are high voltage. These test out at 1.79 to 1.83 volt fresh out of the package using a digital meter.
3)I recently purchased three of the SpyPoint IR6. When setting up to do an in house test as I do with all new cameras, with this series, the delay could not be set lower than one minute. This was also confirmed with an email to SpyPoint. These cameras were returned for that reason only. These cameras were well constructed and easy to set up.
4)As for transmission distance, this can be greatly affected by any hills, trees etc. between the camera (transmitter) and receiver. Weather also plays an important role: snowing, rain, fog or temperature.
As "pnut" mentions on height of camera setting, I'll second the height. Setting the camera to a higher height like you mention, greatly cuts down the field of view due to reducing the camera angle.
I have animals stare at the camera, some rub or smell it out of curiosity, others totally ignore it, and a few may flee. If using the camera in bear country, I would recommend a bear safe box.
Good luck in what you choose.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by pnut
I've had camera for 6yrs and have always mounted them at around knee to waist levels and never had a problem with deer seeing them or getting spooked.
Hell the Reconyx is a black IR so you can't even see it go off.
I know as I have one.

Some cheap cameras make a clunking noise when going off but that Reconyx shouldn't make a peep or any kind of visual when taking a pic.
pnut,
Thanks for the response! For a long time I didn't think the deer were spooked by the IR and Reconyx style cameras either. However when I started using the video mode on one of my cameras I did notice they started to spook from time to time. Earlier this summer I saw this video and it reinforced some of my observations. This is the video link that I saw earlier this summer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVQUS...ature=youtu.be