Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Moultrie M100

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moultrie M100

I just purchased my first trail cam and was not sure if I just plug my sd card in it and put it to work or if I have to format the sd card. If I do have to format the card how do I go about doing that? Any insight is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Woodsman88: if you have a brand new, unused card, it does not need to be formatted.
Here are the steps to format a card. My computer operating system is Windows 7 so the start may be a bit different.
1)insert the card to be fomatted into the SD card slot.
2)select start on your computer.
3)on my computer I select "Start", then "Computer".
4)my Sd card shows up in drive "G" as MPIX PICS (G) which is drive "G".
5)right click, then scroll down and select "Format".
6)click "Start".
7)on the display "Format MPIX PICS (G), read the warning. If you are satisfied that you wish to format (you will lose any pictures or videos on the SD card). This gives you a chance to go back and save. Now click "Ok".
8)a display will then come up "Format Complete". Click "Ok".
9)close the display "Format MPIX PICS (G).
10)remove the SD card and you are ready to use it.
As for setting up your camera, just follow the instructions in the booklet. *Make sure your camera is turned off before either installing or removing the SD card*. If you plan to use the security code, make sure to write it down. If you don't or forget it, the camera has to be returned to Moultrie to get it unlocked.
I have two of these cameras and just recently purchased two more. They are giving excellent performance. One thing I would like better is all Moultrie cameras are limited to a 10 second night video (my interest). When set to video, the camera takes a picture first, then the video. Field of view in the video is narrower than in the picture. Moultrie said this is how it downloads. Being this camera uses "AA" batteries one is able to use Lithium Ultimate batteries if you live in a cold weather, winter area. These Lithium test out at 1.79 to 1.83 volt fresh out of the package. They are a high voltage battery. Another good brand is the Durecell Copper Top, testing 1.55 to 1.6 volt.
Good luck and have fun.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks littlearrow! I just bout the camera and te card so I guess I will be fine. I did not know the camera had to be off to add or remove a card though! Also, if I take the card out and want to put the pictures on my computer, will that mess me up when trying to use the card again in my camera?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Woodsman88
Thanks littlearrow! I just bout the camera and te card so I guess I will be fine. I did not know the camera had to be off to add or remove a card though! Also, if I take the card out and want to put the pictures on my computer, will that mess me up when trying to use the card again in my camera?
I own a M80 and a M100...the camera does not have to be off to add or remove a card...I change mine almost daily and have never turned them off...taking the card out and putting the pictures on your computer will not mess up the card...after I transfer the pictures to the computer it asks me if I want to keep or delete the pictures on the card...I always delete them...keeps the card fresh...good luck and have fun...

Cheers/bg
Old 09-05-2012, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Read the manual. It's full of useful information and every camera is different.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

Read the manual. It's full of useful information and every camera is different.

I read the manual and is was pretty vague on the SD card topic. It basically said it will take up to a 32 gb card and that's it. Nothing about formatting or anything of the sort.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

My old Moultries had an option for format.
If yours don't then just pop it in the pc and format it fat32.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

I just keep an extra card at all times. Pop the old one out and the new one in. Once i transfer the pictures to my computer just clear the card and its ready to go again. Never any issues. Camera never gets shut off either.