Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Slowing down??

Old 09-04-2012, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Slowing down??

I have really slowed down on the pics of deer, especially Bucks the last few days. Anyone else notice the same? I believe it is due to the Beans being at the peak as well as corn. Have apples out and they walk within 3ft but dont eat them. So just wondering....
Old 09-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, same problem here. Thinking I may scout this weekend for some acorns.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Muscadines are dropping here, along with the corn and soybeans its good to be a deer.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's probably a number of things such as acorns, beans drying up, corn hardening, hay is being taken off or dormant due to too little moisture, hunting seasons getting closer so there is more human scent, and I also have a feeling a bunch of them are probably in the woods killing small trees while they rub there velvet off. Just my opinion.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Few days"?
How often do you check your cams?
Maybe your going out there too much and leaving scent.

I check my cams about once a month.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Banned

yeah they have slowed down. i have noticed it is a normal occurence around here at the velvet shedding stage
Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have noticed it here as well. I am thinking it is thier food source is changing as well as what some have shown the bucks are starting to rub the velvet already. I am not sure though what exactly is the reason. I have noticed the same with other animals like the bears and moose as well. I was thinking up this way it is because of bear hunting as well as folks training thier bear dogs. Perhaps in my case all the above???

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 09-06-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 AM
Fork Horn

I just pulled my cards after a week and lots of does, but only a few bucks and none of the bigger ones.

I have seen this same drop off the last 3 years (since I put up the cameras). The bigger bucks disappear in the beginning of September, and then it is really sporadic from here on out.

Other factors that may have contributed to it were the start of dove season (shooting of bird guns in the corn field adjacent to my spit of woods, the harvesting of some of the corn, and the hot, dry spell we have had here for the last 2 weeks.