Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
How I Secure my Metal Camera Boxes >

How I Secure my Metal Camera Boxes

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

How I Secure my Metal Camera Boxes

Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default How I Secure my Metal Camera Boxes

I like to screw my metal bear boxes I got from Native Outdoors to the tree using screws and found a nice screw at Home Depot by accident. So I thought I'd try them. The screw head is a star drive tip size T30.
While this is not fool proof - it sure would make it difficult to steal my cameras. The head of the screw is real nice wide oval with built in washer. I use two screws, put them in with my power drill and it really secures my Bear Boxes nice and solid to the tree real quick.
Now do be aware in some states screwing in a tree on public is not legal. But I am on private.

Just an idea.

JW
Old 08-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use 3 1/2in lagbolts in my lock boxes. I also use big washers on the lags to deter anyone from trying to work the screws through the back of the box. Still, if they wanted to cut the padlock off with a pair of bolt cutters, I suppose they could.

Blessings........Pastorjim
Old 08-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

JW: Thanks for the suggestion. For those that have cameras set up in those areas, this would make things harder to remove. Thanks for sharing. Like PastorJim08, my bear boxes are lag bolted with large flat washers to help re enforce the box.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:26 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Lag bolts work with some of my bear boxes. But with the newer cameras and the custom built bear boxes there isn't much room for the lag hex head. This bit is sort of out of the ordinary too and the washer is already included.
ReallyaAll I did was make more difficult and PJim is correct - cut the lock off leave the box but take the camera.....

Nothing is fool proof.

JW