Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
My Camera Sucks, advice on new? >

My Camera Sucks, advice on new?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

My Camera Sucks, advice on new?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default My Camera Sucks, advice on new?

I apologize if there is a similar thread but I searched and did not find one.

I currently have a Moultrie D55 and I'm not having any luck with it. I tend to get lots of photo's of nothing. I'm guessing its because the trigger is so slow the animal is already out of camera view when the picture is taken. Occasionally I will get the tail of a squirrel or a deer's rear-end but nothing more.

I'm tired of sifting through hundreds of photos of empty fields. Granted the camera has worked great, I just need something with a faster trigger. What do I need to look for in a camera? Do trail cameras have instant or 2-3 second triggers? Anyone recommend one?

Id like to stay under $150, and I now that limits me, but I would like to purchase two camera's as I have 1300 acres to cover. (I know I need a lot more, but cost wont allow me)
Old 07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend the Moultrie M100. It takes good pictures, and can be had for under $140. It has a 1 year warranty.

The Bushnell Trophy cams are generally over the $150, but they do have a very handi 2 year warranty.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

I would like to also suggest a spypoint g4 from gander mountain, I paid $99 for it and it has great battery life, real good trigger speed and nice pics. Also hunten outdoors makes a nice little cam for $120. A friend of mine has one and its trigger speed is awesome, and really nice pics also. In that price range I really like those two. If your looking for a white flash cam instead of an ir I hear the new covert reveal is really nice. If your ever looking for a cam in the $180 range the little acorn is awesome. I posted a pic of four bucks and the night and day pics are great, battery life is awesome and it seems really durable. Scoot
Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Great luck with the moultrie m80's. Have two and they have worked great. Battery life with lithium batteries is unreal! Can be had for 100
Old 07-31-2012, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with Nebrusier. m80s and lithiums love each other. decent cam without spending a ton. There are a few in the 150-200 worth the money.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Typical Buck

Ihave a d-55 and have no problems they are very sensative and pick up grass and tree movement a lot of times. make sure to clea the front of the camera
Old 08-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Spike

I'm absolutely in love with my Primos Truth Cam 35's
Old 08-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend some of the Coverts or Moultrie M80 in the $150 range or a Bushnell in the $200 range. Check out this site, best place on the web to purchase a camera.

www.trailcampro.com

Blessings........Pastorjim
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

OhioNovice: Lots of good reports on the Moultrie M80. I have 2 of the M100 which is a higher versersion of the M80. When I purchased mine, there were no M80 in stock at the dealer. Moultrie cameras, when set to video take a picture first, then the video. The field of view in the video is narrower than in the picture. Moultrie said this is how it down loads. What you get in the picture is sometimes missed in the video due to delay. If you are permitted to set up over baits, this may not be a problem. Moultrie is limited to 10 second night video. Moultrie offers a one year manufactures warranty.
I have 7 of the 2009 model Bushnell Trophy Trail camera. When set to video, thats all it takes. Bushnell offers a two year manufactures warranty.
Overall both brands of cameras have given good service and both companies have given me good customer service when requiring more information or asking questions.
One thing I would suggest: whatever camera you choose, go to one that uses AA batteries. These cameras are smaller and easier to conceal. If you live in a cold weather area, one can use Lithium Ultimate batteries. These are high voltage, testing 1.79 to 1.83 volt fresh out of the package, tested with a digital meter. Another good battery is the Copper Top Duracell which tests 1.5 to 1.6 volt. Good luck in your choice.
Old 08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I run Bushnell Trophy Cams and Cuddebacks. I (knock on wood) haven't had any problems with the Bushnells. Quick trigger speeds and good pics. The night time pics aren't the greatest but I just read on a trail cam review website that the new models have much better night pics. You can usually pic one up on Cabelas .com or BPS on sale if you check the website here and there. I've picked all mine up from those, none over $140. There are factory refurbished Cuddebacks on Sportsmans guide for a little over $100. They have a regular flash but have great trigger speed and take really good pics. They do run on D cells so they don't last as long as the Bushnell. Shop around online and you usually can find some good ones from $100 to $150.