Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Outdoor Gear > Trail Cameras
Has Anyone Else Bought "Bad" Batteries? >

Has Anyone Else Bought "Bad" Batteries?

Community
Trail Cameras Post your trail cam photos, reviews, tips, and suggestions here.

Has Anyone Else Bought "Bad" Batteries?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has Anyone Else Bought "Bad" Batteries?

I recently purchased a pack of (8) AA batteries (Energizer) for my new trail camera and they were bad batteries. This is not the first time this has happened to me. At this very same store (wont mention the name of the store but it begins with "C") I purchased a 6volt battery that was no good as well.
I placed my trail camera out a week ago, went to check on it and the camera wouldn't work. At first I thought it was the camera, then I pulled the camera and went home. When I got home I took the SD card out and there were no pictures, still thinking it was the camera. I took all 8 AA batteries out of the camera and tried them in another camera, the batteries were no good. I was just wondering if anyone else ever purchased bad batteries.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally never have but I know it happens. It's good to have a volt meter to check them before you install them just to be sure. I pretty much have stopped using alkalines and have gone completely with rechargeables. When you have alot of cameras it sure saves alot of money.

Blessings.......Pastorjim
Old 07-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I second what PastorJim08 says in regards to using a volt meter. If going this route, may I suggest the digital meter. The older version which is still available uses the sweep type hand. For measuring small currents, these are not accurate enough. They would be satisfactory for measuring, say the voltage of a vehicle battery which is a large voltage source. Any camera battery that reads 1.0 to 1.2 volt, the camera will not function properly or not at all. Even new batteries fresh out of the package may have a faulty one.
As PastorJim08 mentioned about using rechargeable batteries, a tip I suggest, is testing the used rechargeables, then pair batteries with close matching voltages in the charger. The majority of chargers if containing more than one battery, will shut down or stop once one battery reaches full charge.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had nothing but grief with energizer batteries. They blew up in my flashlight, they wrecked my card shuffler and they blew up in my talking fish and animals. I notified eveready, and they wanted me to ship all products to them. I told them to forget it, and they sent me some coupons for $1.50 off my next purchase. The coupons went in the garbage. I use Duracell now, and have never had a problem with them at all.Energizers stink.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

A whole buck fifty, huh! That might buy one battery at the prices they're charging nowadays!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I recently purchased some more Energizer rechargeable AA batteries and am running them in my 2009 Bushnell Trophy Trail cameras (7ea.) and in (2ea.) of the Moultrie GameSpy M100. I also have the larger Moultrie picture viewer with them installed. So far so good. These batteries fresh out of the package test 1.28 volt but can be bumped up to 1.39 to 1.43 volt with a good charger. *Note: these are rechargeables. These batteries are expensive, costing $17.95 per pack of four before tax in Canada.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have found bad ones new in box from both Energizer and Duracell. I now use Ray O Vac and can't remember ever getting a bad one.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

For alkaline batteries I second what redgreen says on the duracell.. That is all I use and they work great in my stealth camera. I have not had an issue with them except during our colder weather and not holding up then. The last ones were still working after 3 months in my Prowler when I changed them out. They took an awfull lot of pics and videos when I tried the video mode out.They were still going quite strong then as well but I am planning on a longer time period before checking again so I changed them.. I am currently running just video mode on it right now and I love the results..
Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Typical Buck

I never put a battery in a trailcamera without first checking the voltage with a multimeter first.
New doesn't always mean good, and it's not worth taking the chance for me. One low reading battery of the bunch can screw everything up.